Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Thread: Applying Poly

Default Applying Poly

I've built some new Jarrah Bench tops for the kitchen reno I've been working on. All going pretty well, except the poly finish. I'm using Cabbots CFP poly and I can't quite seem to get the nice even finish that I want. Does anyone have any advise on the best ways to apply poly and the preperation required to get a good finish.

Thanks

Paul, about 2 years ago I built a kids table and used the Cabots CFP as a finish using a brush. what a pain.:mad:
    Just (almost) finished the kitchen with about 8m of bench tops where I used cabots Gelclear. Gods gift to DIY poly finishers.
    As the name suggests its a gel so you dont have that drip problem.
    It takes a bit of getting used to. Too much under the brush and you do get drip/sag too little you get drag lines....hard to describe but you will know what I mean when you use it.
    Your first couple of coats are coming to grips with the stuff so I recommend at least 4 coats, the more the better anyway. Dont forget to sand between coats and a good clean down with a metho soaked rag.
    Its a slow process, I wouldn't go shorter than 2 days between coats.
    I set up a temporary tent (lean to/humpy using tarps to keep sunlight,leaves and rain of the bench tops as I was doing it, still couldn't stop bugs
    Good Luck.
    PS if youve got kids dont let them draw with felt pens on your finished benches:mad: :mad: :mad: other than that 10 months and still look fantastic a few scratches and small dents but its a benchtop I can live with such things.
    PPS on my cupboard doors I used the cabots poly in the spray can asthe mouldings of the doors would have become "clogged" if I'd applied with a brush. Once again happy as with the finish. Cheers
    PPPS . I finished the timber by progressing down to 400 grit, did go lower to start but decided it was an overkill if using poly.

Dont use CFP try cabothane, its a much nice product.

Best way to get a even high gloss finish with these products is to do a seal coat to start with(thin it heaps, apply thin coat)then sand back with 320~400g then apply a heavy coat get it on as thick as you can without putting runs in it. On a flat level surface you can literaly pour it on!

After 2 coats its like a piece of glass.

Quote Originally Posted by Harry72 View Post
    Dont use CFP try cabothane, its a much nice product.

Best way to get a even high gloss finish with these products is to do a seal coat to start with(thin it heaps, apply thin coat)then sand back with 320~400g then apply a heavy coat get it on as thick as you can without putting runs in it. On a flat level surface you can literaly pour it on!

After 2 coats its like a piece of glass.
    Looks real nice Harry,

How has it gone for durability in service?
    Cheers

TEEJAY

There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness"

(Man was born to hunt and kill)

Harry thats beautiful. I'm constantly being humbled on this site! as well as learning a great deal.
    thanks

Still looks the same(bout 2yrs old), but its hardly been used. Cabothane really needs to cure for a couple weeks before its fully done.
    No finish will stand up to the abuse a kitchen bench will get over its life time but 7008 estipol would come close.

I've used CFP on several occasions never got it to come out real nice, just doesnt seem to flow out smooth like Cabothane but it is a bit more hardy. It has a high oil content and a hardener added to it.

What did you use to apply it ?

|^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| |^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||
    | .....BIGGER ......._____| | ...BEER TRUCK.....| ||´|";,___.
    |_..._...__________/====|_..._..._______==|=||_|__|..., ] -
    "(@)´(@)"""´´" *|(@)(@) "(@)´(@)"""´´"*|(@)(@)****(@)

Thanks for the replies guys. I might give the Cabothane or gel clear a try. Will it be as durable as the CFP? Obviosly the bench is going to take some punishment. Can I apply the Cabothane over the CFP after a light sand? I've already got 3 coats of cfp on it and I don't really want to stip it down to bare wood again

If its still fresh(bout 2weeks)just get a sharp scraper under it... lifts of like thick glad wrap plastic.(test first on unseen spot)
    Yeah pretty sure Cabothane will stick to CFP with a sanding to key it.(once again test it 1st)

Meerkat, thats sprayed on ultra thick 2 coats after a seal coat.

Quote Originally Posted by Harry72 View Post
    Meerkat, thats sprayed on ultra thick 2 coats after a seal coat.

Harry you have shattered the illusion. Mate I thought you had applied the poly with a brush!!!

Any how Pau1 heres my humble bench with the gel coat satin finish. Not real good photos.
    Also close up of the dents small scratched that you get with the one pac.
    I can live with it, you really have to have your head on the bench to notice it. Also I don't think 7008 is food grade seem to have read somewhere that its a no no for kitchen benches.
    Attachment 30509

Attachment 30510

Pau1,
    have you considered ringing the distributor of Cabothane, they may even suggest some of their products for flooring, which naturally would have to be tough.
    Zelk

"
    Harry you have shattered the illusion. Mate I thought you had applied the poly with a brush!!!"

Wouldnt be any different on a flat level surface... like I said you can literally pour it on!

Zelk, CFP is the floor version of carbothane.(Cabot's)

I have had great results with both tung oil and poly using a foam brush. No brush marks and easy to spread an even coat.

BT the 7008 estipol is ment for benchtops and floors.

Its food safe as any other poly when its cured, the trouble is the isocanites(spelling) are highly carcinogenic when airborne, thats why on the can its says not for domestic spraying, its ment to be sprayed in a draughted spray booth with an air fed mask and full body cover... like most car paints. Its quite fine to be brushed or rolled on or if you have a proper bio filtered mask and some disposable coveralls to srpay with.
    So if your doing kitchen bench top with 7008 and want the best/safest possible finish it would easiest to take it and see a auto crash repairers slip'em a few hundred for them to spray it for you over a weekend while their booth is not in use for cars... their spray booth should have clean air so there'll be no dust and crap.

i use feast watson weatherproof...

as Bruce Almighty would say ...B E A utifull !!!

easy to apply, full gloss, does'nt take to long to dry, hard finish, uv and chemical resistant, does'nt have a strong odour, self leveling so it'll look perfect...

La H
    Hurry, slowly