Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Thread: Outdoor stairs

Default Outdoor stairs

Hi all.........have got to make outdoor stairs to a raised deck (2.1m off ground). I intend to make stringers and treads from TP 245x45. I've worked out the rise/going preportions from Allan Staines deck & pergola book but I need to know seeing as the stringer length will be 3.3m do I need an intermediate post between the top & bottom to support the staircase? The width of the stairs will be 900mm so do I need a middle stringer to support the tread? Also I've decided to use battens (TP 70x45) bolted to the stringers to bolt the treads onto.....is this as good a method as housing the treads into the stringers? Or is it just "a looks" thing because it seems like a lot less work. Thanks everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by neddy
    as the stringer length will be 3.3m do I need an intermediate post between the top & bottom to support the staircase?
    There are none on mine.

The width of the stairs will be 900mm so do I need a middle stringer to support the tread?
    No.

Also I've decided to use battens (TP 70x45) bolted to the stringers to bolt the treads onto.....is this as good a method as housing the treads into the stringers? Or is it just "a looks" thing because it seems like a lot less work.
    So did I when I replaced the treads as it was a lot simpler on an existing stairway. But I would still use the threaded rods to tie the risers together.

Peter.