Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default Leaking water cutoff tap who should pay?

Hi, I’m renovating my apartment and noticed the water cut off switch located in out laundry is leaking and was told by a plumber that the strata would fix that for free is that true. Does anyone know what the strata will and will not pay to fix?

Not sure about apartments but when I got this 'old' house the mains tap at the front of the property didn't work properly. Melburne water came out the next day and replaced it free of charge.

yeah i thought the strata should anyway i got it changed already at my expense . but what really scares me is the main water shutoff downstairs is next to the driveway and has been hit a few times and must have burst that they put metal poles around it but havn't fixed it.

Hi Shaun,

I would get in touch with the manager(s) of the body corporate and ask if you can claim on the insurance?. If they won't give you a straight answer then ask for details of the insurance company and you can give them (or email them) personally. However, it maybe deemed that if the switch is in your apartment then it is your responseability to replace it at your own cost. If it was a burst pipe in the wall of your apartment then they would have to cough up as it is deemed "common land".

The main connection (on your site) from the water company should be replaced free of charge. Three years ago when I was living in my own flat (one of 16) I had to replace my hot water system and went and turned off the water supply at the mains. However when I got back to my flat the water was still trickling through - because the washer was stuffed in the main stop cock:mad:. They came out the next day and fixed it.

Regards
    David