Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Windows home network - Instant messaging question

Hi everyone,

Another question, now that the router and network are up and running.
    Currently we use Microsoft instant messenger to shuttle files, ask questions and so forth for study between our 2 home computers, We also have a home network between the computers set up for some file sharing (have not tried it yet as messenger is handy) and to share the printer.
    I want to know, can I find an Instant messenger program that we can use between the 2 computers without having to use the net, Can I have both computers running with the modem switched off, but the router running and sending instant messages?
    Am I dreaming.

Thanks,
    Felixe.

Firstly to have both computers running on your network without the router is no problem and in fact recomended. If you have the router assigning IP addresses then you have problems if the router goes offline. Just set each computer's IP manually instead of having it assigned by the router. For example 192.168.0.2 for one of them and 198.162.0.3 for the other. Use 255.255.255.0 as the subnet mask for each and use 192.168.0.1 as the gateway (that is the IP of your router on your home network) That way, if the router goes of line it won't affect your LAN. That's waht I do at work and what was recommended by D-Link when i called them the other day about my home network falling off all the time.

As for comunication, I use Skype to call my son in his bedroom to tell him dinner is on the table Bloody amazing
    www.skype.com

I use MSN messanger at work to communicate between 3 offices and also within the one office. it's fine but as you said, you need to be on the internet to use it.
    If at first you don't succeed, give something else a go. Life is far too short to waste time trying.

Hi Gumby!
    Can I have both computers running on the network without the router when the ethernet cable for each computer plugs into the router? I thought as the router is the connection it would have to be on? (out of my depth again!!)
    Having the router on or off is not my issue, I want to be able to switch off the (seperate) modem to save on broadband, my account has a limit, but still have the functionality of IM service, I am quickly going to checkout skype.

Quote Originally Posted by felixe
    Hi Gumby!
    Can I have both computers running on the network without the router when the ethernet cable for each computer plugs into the router? I thought as the router is the connection it would have to be on? (out of my depth again!!)
    Having the router on or off is not my issue, I want to be able to switch off the (seperate) modem to save on broadband, my account has a limit, but still have the functionality of IM service, I am quickly going to checkout skype.
    The router needs to be on to share the home network but sometimes it loses connection to the internet or has problems assigning addresses (which is what mine did). You can switch off the internet modem and it won't be a problem for your home network.
    If at first you don't succeed, give something else a go. Life is far too short to waste time trying.

.............and I can still Instant message between the 2 computers at home on the home network using skype??:confused:

Instant Messenger or Skype will not work unless you are connected to the internet. They use an external server to organise the communication between computers. Sorry
    Have a nice day - Cheers

So, Is there one that works without having to log onto the net? :confused: I am being a "tight ar5e" with my internet usage.

.............and I can still Instant message between the 2 computers at home on the home network using skype??:confused:
    only if you have an internet connection. But really, that shouldn't matter. My modem runs all day, as does the computer.

So, Is there one that works without having to log onto the net? :confused: I am being a "tight ar5e" with my internet usage.
    not that i'm aware of

There are programs for inter office comunication. For instance, the software running one of my departments has the ability to send messages across the inter office netowrk. There may be others available so have a hunt around Google.

I just found this one so I might give it a try!
    http://messenger.softros.com/

Default Skype

Those using Skype may be interested to read the following. It is very long and very technical but worth the read.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skype

regards
    Coldamus

Yes.. but it's probably more trouble than leaving the router on and using MSN

The traffic that MSN messenger generates when it's idle is pretty negligable

Cheers

Ian

don't s'pose you've tried Appletalk?

P

Do I press my ear against the fruit or the tree?:confused:

Touche.

Al