Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Give Shed

Default Give Shed

We'll be settling on our new block in Lancefield in September.

I have my priorities right and I'm building the shed first. Well actually, were building that so we can live in it while we build the house.

My plan so is to buld a shed with internal dimensions of 12m x 6m.
    We'll put the slab down and the structure and roof and then I'll in-fill with straw bales and then render outside and then in. I'm doing the strawbale as practice for when we build the house.

At one end I'll have 2 rooms of about 3 x 3 metres each. One willl be my office and the other will be a finishing room. I'll just do a stud wall to separate the rooms and the shed. I'm going to fit a toilet and shower in there somewhere.

The south wall will have small double glazed windows and the north will have a series of narrow floor to ceiling windows to allow for solar passive heating.

The roof will be colourbond. I haven't decided what kind of insulation to use. When we build the house I'll be using Rytek roofing which is two colourbond sandwiching a 10cm thick piece of polystyrene. It cost somewhere between $120 and $150 per square metre installed. It sounds exe but you don't have to pay for a ceiling, insulation or roof trusses.

I don't think I can afford to do this for the shed though.

What insulation have other people used for their sheds?

Also, I haven't decided on what do do for the floor. I'm not all that fond of standing for hours on concrete but it is very effective as a thermal mass for passive solar heating.

If I put a wood floor over the top then I'll lose the thermal mass benefit. If I stay with concrete then my poor little footsies will get sore.

What is a man to do?

Photo Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by Grunt

none in my shed. ya soft mexican:eek: (hccct ptooewy!)

What is a man to do?
    if you leave it concrete your claws will not need clipping as often.
    Zed

Get a pair of thick socks
    Regards, Bob Thomas

www.wombatsawmill.com

I've insulated my workshop with fiberglass insulating bats and the finishing shed with those silver insulation sheets and insulating ceiling tiles ( freebie from a renovation ).

Also, I haven't decided on what do do for the floor. I'm not all that fond of standing for hours on concrete but it is very effective as a thermal mass for passive solar heating.

If I put a wood floor over the top then I'll lose the thermal mass benefit. If I stay with concrete then my poor little footsies will get sore.
    I would prefer a timber floor above the concrete floor (room to place D/C ducting and power cables to fixed machinery so no extension cords) but haven't the head height, so I have put foam rubber interlocking tiles in the workshop area and foam backed carpet in the finishing shed.

The money spent on insulation and flooring will repay you for many years in extra comfort and IMO worth more to me than some tools I've bought.

Peter.

I'll be using Rytek roofing which is two colourbond sandwiching a 10cm thick piece of polystyrene. It cost somewhere between $120 and $150 per square metre installed. It sounds exe but you don't have to pay for a ceiling, insulation or roof trusses.
    Do you have a link for the roofing?

I would do the concrete floor and use the rubber tiles that Sturdee suggested.

Al

Also, I haven't decided on what do do for the floor. I'm not all that fond of standing for hours on concrete
    G'day Mate,

Good news on the new home and shed!

Re the concrete floor, I've put down some rubber ribbing in the key areas where I work for any lenghth of time - eg in front of the benches, ditto Router table, jointer, etc.

I can't recall the $/m at Bunnings, but I found the same stuff in 1 ~ 2m lenghths in their off-cut bin for about 20% of the price

I just lift the pieces out of the way when I get around to sweeping/vacuuming the shed floor...

Love to see some WiP pics and notes both on the shed and the house.

The roof will be colourbond. I haven't decided what kind of insulation to use. When we build the house I'll be using Rytek roofing which is two colourbond sandwiching a 10cm thick piece of polystyrene. It cost somewhere between $120 and $150 per square metre installed. It sounds exe but you don't have to pay for a ceiling, insulation or roof trusses.

Grunt

Because I am involved with Spanline we have the option to use the sandwich panel but the franchise owner has opted to not use it because of delaminating problems from the movements from contraction and expansion from the heat and the cold.

Instead they use the plain roofing and then use a separate ceiling panel that is available which is an aluminium imbossed painted surface on the underside and aluminuim foil adhered to the topside. It will span 4.00 metres unsupported but is available in 6 metre lengths x 1200 wide with an interlocking side join.

There have been several companies gone broke from the claims on the roofs delaminating

I thought it sounded too good to be true, no tusses.

Al

Thanks Baz, I'll check that out.

Al, here is the link. http://www.ritek.net.au/
    Sorry can't spell. It's Ritek not Rytek.

Chris
    Photo Gallery

There's another similar product here in Victoria called Tridek http://www.infolink.com.au/Showcases...ildings/137574
    Can span unsupported up to 8m with an R3.0 rating, seems to be a great concept but just not sure how well it works in the field.
    Live a little today before you die forever tomorrow

Get the render on the straw bales real quick, rember the neddy. Munch Munch.

Have just installed R6.4 rated silver foil batts. Works by blocking radiant heat like space blankets but in box section batts.

Their advertising speil states stops 100% net heat gain during summer and retains 86% net heat loss during winter.

Check out www.silverbatts.com for contact details

Grunt why not go the olde Pomme way, A thatched roof, the trusses don't seem very heavy to me when I've seen rethatching being done.
    woody U.K.

"Common looking people are the best in the world: that is the reason the Lord makes so many of them." ~ Abraham Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by jow104
    Grunt why not go the olde Pomme way, A thatched roof, the trusses don't seem very heavy to me when I've seen rethatching being done.
    So you wanna give lessons when you arrive here?
    Regards, Bob Thomas

www.wombatsawmill.com

Regret to say my 6 month visa says I must not undertake any action that normally attracts renumeration!!!!!!!!!

Canberra are getting very cagey.
    woody U.K.

"Common looking people are the best in the world: that is the reason the Lord makes so many of them." ~ Abraham Lincoln