Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Carpet layers

Default Carpet layers

It must be a terrible job coming in and laying carpet. All the other trades have been and gone. The floors have been swept. The paint has dried. There's power for your radio, a toilet to use, a kitchen to make tea. But they still find something to complain about.

When the guy came to measure up a few weeks ago, he looked at the doors and said "you'll have to take some off the bottom of those doors". I thought to myself that it must be good to have laser vision that allows you to measure the gap under a door whilst standing 6 feet away from it. So I diligently checked a few and they were all 20mm off the floor as the carpenter was instructed to make them.

Then this morning, the carpet layer turns up. I get a phone call from the old man "we have a bit of a problem with the doors and the carpet. He says they're all going to have to come off and will need to be cut down". "Bullsh*t", I say, "there's 20mm. How much does he need?". A bit of mumbling in the background. "He says a knuckle".

Now I'm starting to get the picture. The first guy has laser vision and can measure down to the millimetre with a single glance from 15 paces. This guy uses his knuckle and has long arms so he can reach all of the doors in the house from the front room. I'm guessing he thinks he has laser vision too. The knuckle reference probably springs to mind because he has carpet burns on his from where they drag on the floor when he walks.

I said to the old bloke "did you measure any of them? I checked a few and they were all 20mm". He goes off with the tape and comes back. "They're all 20mm except for one, which is about 15mm." "OK," I say, "take that one off and we'll plane it down if it needs it. The others can stay on".

He should have just said "can you take all the doors off to make my life easier?" Might have been inclined to do it but not now that he has tried one on.
    "I don't practice what I preach because I'm not the kind of person I'm preaching to."

Hmmm, given a choice between taking doors off and neatly stacking them somewhere away from freshly painted walls, or coming home to find the carpet layer has taken them off...........

I may have made a different call!

P

Are you kidding? A carpet layer taking doors off? Unheard of!! He'll just bash them around with his hammer when he puts down the smooth edge. That's what I would do.
    "I don't practice what I preach because I'm not the kind of person I'm preaching to."

We had new carpet put down in the house last week after four winters of no carpet. Lucky for them, there's only two doors actually hung in the whole house (and you can guess where they are). They had an easy job I reckon - got 90sqm done in 4 hours.

Just spoke to the old man. He wimped out and took all of the doors off. Lightweight!! Who's going to have to put them all back on? Muggins

Well at least you won't have too many screwdriver marks under the hinges, from where they were levered off by the carpet layers!

P

Drop Bear Capital of Gippsland (Lang Lang) Vic Australia

Quote Originally Posted by bitingmidge
    Well at least you won't have too many screwdriver marks under the hinges, from where they were levered off by the carpet layers!

P
    Don't be silly Midge, they use a claw hammer
    Stupidity kills. Absolute stupidity kills absolutely.

u should withhold payment to him for trying to be an @srewipe, whats he gunna do ? rip upt he carpet ?

god tradies can be bastards!!! no wonder a current affair and today tonight love 'em....
    Zed

Quote Originally Posted by Zed
    god tradies can be bastards!!! no wonder a current affair and today tonight love 'em....
    Golly no Zed!

This is a simple misunderstanding on the part of an ill-informed owner builder who really should get better advice before entering into a contract with a top-notch tradesman.

You see silentC, we told you there'd be tears before bedtime if you pursued this stupid owner builder thing.

Give up now before you get yourself into real trouble!!

P

:eek: Laying carpet? :eek:
    It would take all day to do just one wall.

Al

Right on Midge !!!!!
    Regards, Bob Thomas

www.wombatsawmill.com

top-notch tradesman
    Pffft

Reminds me of an old mate who called in a carpet layer a few years ago only to subsequently find he layed more than the carpet. Cost him more than a few hundred grand and he's still living on bare boards- somewhere else. So what's a few doors.

Quote Originally Posted by the big o
    Reminds me of an old mate who called in a carpet layer a few years ago only to subsequently find he layed more than the carpet. Cost him more than a few hundred grand and he's still living on bare boards- somewhere else. So what's a few doors.
    that gives a whole new meaning to carpet burns!!! Ouch!!
    Cheers

Jeremy
    If it were done when 'tis done, then 'twere well it were done quickly

They were laying the carpet in my parent's house, so that's the old bloke's problem, not mine