Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default How to preserve a blackboard?????

I have a small blackboard with chalk writting on it that i want to preserve and hang on a wall.

Any suggestions for the best way to do it. I have the idea of simply framing it and covering with glass, much like a stadard photo frame, but would prefer to leave it in its current state and was considering maybe a spray clear coat over the top. Has anyone done that before. if so what were the results.

An after thought,....sandwich shops sometimes have blackboard signs, what do the signwriters coat them with???
    It s not getting away from it all it s getting back to it all!
    Peter Dombrovski

Hair spray works well as a fixative, I think there is also a commercial fixer available, try local art supplies shop.
    56 Rock n Roll rebel....... Too old to die young and too young to be an old fart. Guess I'll just keep on rockin' and refuse to grow old gracefully.

Are you a registered member? Why not? click here to register. It's free and only takes 37 seconds!

Neil said try the local art store, Good suggestion. But Hair spray is only a half arsed way of spraying Lacquer. Well it used to be when cheap spray was just thinned lacquer, now days it may be a gob of different chemicals that will eat the hide off of a Croc and Bull story.... Suggest a lacquer spray or Plastic cote spray or spray Poly or something you know what it is rather than Hair spray.

I bet local artists know a product for their chalk renditions. And their supply store supplies it.

Whatever you do make sure you take a photo of it in case it doesn't work out!

Quote Originally Posted by BobL
    Whatever you do make sure you take a photo of it in case it doesn't work out!
    I like the way you think BobL, as for the suggestions on art supply stores, i think that is a great idea. thanks guys
    It s not getting away from it all it s getting back to it all!
    Peter Dombrovski

I'd pick up a junk blackboard (or make one) to experiment with.
    Regards, Bob Thomas

www.wombatsawmill.com