Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default A buzz for me today. I took a Model T for a drive.

A mate of mine came over this morning with his Model T Ford. Made 1924. Lovely old thing that he got for 7 grand....Even though its not completely restored he's been offered 20 grand for it ! ... He just likes to keep it in good working order. Which I can relate. So its got dings here and there, but run really well. Its fully registered.

He let me take it for a drive on the way home. But said, ' pretty hard at first.....it takes a lot of getting used to' ....and he was right.

Its only got 2 gears. Low and high, which are engaged by foot pedal. Low with pedal to floor, high with it released, with neutral in between. There's a big difference between them, so you gotta get your speed right up before switching to high.

The throttles actually a lever positioned where the windscreen wiper is in a normal car. The blinkers are your right arm and the passingers left. Brakes, well,,,,,,they must have had quite a few accidents back then ..

I made a meal of the driving on the way home. I could steer, but that was about it. a lot of ' NO Jake !....put your foot on that pedal....No ! not that one .... ' :eek: ....thankfully I did find the brake though, before hitting that fence.

3rd pictures me pretending to be very familiar with what Chris had to say.....lots of nodding etc.
    5th pictures me driving it on the way back..The pictures a bit blurry ...but thats just because I was driving it real fast....

But lots of fun. Really enjoyed it. And he's trying to encourage me to buy one or rebuild one myself. Parts are still quite available apparently.

South Oz, the big smokey bit in the middle

Loverly

The bloke who used to live next to my grandpa used an 'in original condition' MGTC as his daily driver. Used to park it on the front veranda. I asked him once why he didn't do it up - he said he didn't work on modern cars ... and he was right to, it was the only car he owned made after the first world war.

Richard

rrich Guest

OMG! A right hand driver no less! Wow, you're a lucky one. The oldest that I've ever driven was a '27 Model A. I'm rather envious.

apricotrpper, you need to get into a quiet backstreet and have a good practice at driving the Model T. Its easy once you get the hand of it.

If you have never driven a car before it takes about a minute to get the hang of driving a Model T.

If you have driven a normal car the natural thing to do is push the clutch in all the way. Everyone who brought one originally usually was trading in their horse so the salesman gave them a lesson around the block and they then drove it home. Being basically an automatic there was no need do be too precise with the revs just let out the clutch after pushing it to the floor as you throttle back a bit its then in top gear and you can leave it there unless you are forced to get below about 5 mph up a hill or in traffic.

I bought mine in 1964 and still have it, its done over 200,000 Kms and only had one engine rebuild when the crankshaft broke back in 1973.

your mate should tackle the guy who offered him 20 grand real quick before he changes his mind , 7 is a good price for a 1924 Model T in that condition.

rrich, all Model T's are RHD here as they came from Canada , there are very few LHD in comparison

Hey Jake!

If I remember correctly the 'T' had, like many vintage cars, a centre throttle and a right pedal brake (for what it was worth!). How'd you cope with that - it's certainly different...

Looks like darn good fun!

Apricot,

Good to see we have a new recruit. Vintage cars are fun. Though hard work to drive in todays traffic, it does require a lot of reading of the traffic, but i grew up around them and learnt to drive in one. Have even driven ours to work in the city at peak hour (My daily driver broke down). A lot of the cars from that period can hold their own in traffic, except for brakes and fuel economy. We have used ours for family holidays and even competition.

Braking and acceleration can be improved on the T, using period parts, they sold parts called "Rocky mountain brakes" that improved stopping, and you count get some really good modifications to the engine and drivetrain, I have seen a T getting 80 MPH. (That was scary).
    I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

My Other Toys

You're a lucky sod Jake, that would have been some experience. I just love the look of those old things...basic and honest! Did they have wooden chassis', maybe you can turn your hand to repairs without changing tools!?

Cheers,
    Andy Mac
    Change is inevitable, growth is optional.

DurwoodThanks. I don't know if I actually will get one to use your advice though. In anycase it interesting stuff. . Just don't have the money or the time for it, unfortunetly. One day maybe.

I couldn't believe the 20 grand offer either. But, Chris is just one of those rare blokes that never lie. Incapable of it. So I'd say its a true story. I think some money bags bloke came through town in a ferrari or something like, saw it, loved and just flippently made the offer. I guess one is prone to do that if your overloaded with cash ????

I said as well, he should have taken offer, but Chris is in love with it. I doubt he'll ever part with it. .......I said ' But you'll be able to buy 2 of them with that sort of money !' ...... ' no way ' he said. He just wants his Model T. fair enough. I understand that feeling.

Gra...thanks for the advice on the brakes. Rocky Mountain brakes. I'll mention that next time I see him. I'd say he'd probably already know about them. He seems to know a great deal about them. But on the off chance....

Chris drives his to work sometimes too. He works right next door to our place. He pulls up, beeping his horn....lots of fun. ...He's a good country musician as well. Plays amongst other things the banjo. Nice looking combination that......sometimes he turns up to gigs in his car and performs from the back seat.

Steve.... I stuffed up the driving mate. after finally hitting the brakes and slowly stopped just before that fence, I jumped out, hit my head on the roof, and definetly felt a little shakey ! Definetly fun though.

Andy.....great looking alright. Yep , wooden chassis' alright. Now that you mention it, Chris got me to fit some new wooden boards to the floor, just under the peddles.....Thats why he came in yesterday to settle the favour. He already gave me a bottle of wine for it, so he was spoiling me the bugger.

Its definetly an great look. metal panels on old hardwood frame thats cracking. The wood looks more like old firewood. dry and cracked. holes here and there. Just bolted and nailed together !....

Can't help smiling everytime you see it. Love to have a car like that in the back yard. Especially liked the little accessorys,,,,,like the manual windscreen wiper, the oil can and its holder under the hood, the oil lamps, the foot ignition button, wooden spoked tires.