Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default Laundry Trough!!

I have a very common problem, while I was putting my washing machine into my newly purchased old house. I did not measure before buying and the washing machine was about 2 inches wider than the previous one and so will not fit. Easy bit over. I have taken out the old Laundry Trough and rotated it 90 degrees. Now I can get the machine in but the pipes at the bottom of the trough had to be bent forward using a 45 degree bend. But while fitting I noticed that one side of the pipe after the trap was not siting 100% straight and water leaked from it first time. It is slightly out of line. Can some one tell me how can I or what can I put in the pipes so that the water will not leak even if the pipes are not 100% staright in line. Thanks.
    YOU MISSED 100% OF THE SHOT YOU NEVER TOOK.

If you can post a pic that would help. You have to try and get the pipes sealing properly by lining up properly, not by gumming them up with something. Using a combination of angle fittings and short pipes between them and bending them with a heat gun, this is usually acheivable.

Cheers
    Michael

Thanks Michael, in the picture you can see a 45 deg bend the screw above that it is the section that is not 100%. I hope you can understand! Thanks

HELP!!!! I'm blind I can't see anything.

Its a miracle
    Boring signature time again!

Default More clarity

I hope it is more clear!

You will need to adjust the length of the pipes in your 45 bends, also muck around a bit with the "S" bend. Yours looks like it has been pulled out of whack pretty severely, they are made so some adjustment can be made, just loosen the nuts a little, twist, turn shuffle, and replace the 45's. DON'T glue up until all is straight and happy.

Just re-reading, it may pay to replace the rubber washers in the "S" bend as well, or instead of, they may be perished, but OK until you start stuffing around with them.
    Boring signature time again!

Default Thanks

Next time I am out to do some thing like this I will ask first..I think I Knew that before..getting old..or Experienced??.. humm

I agree. From the pic, your offset is way too short and the trap is strained way out of line

Re-do the offset (make in larger) and refit the trap . If you still have small leak a smear of silicone on the trap rubber will fix it.
    Jack

Default Offset?

What is an Offset.!!:confused:

And if outback's fix doesn't work, then buy two 90 deg elbows. Cut off the bottom pipe 100mm shorter.
    Use 1/2 the cut off to join the two 90 deg bends to make a 'H' shape without the top left leg and the bottom right leg. (sorry I don;t know how else to describe that.
    Glue the resulting shape to the bottom pipe and this will give you about 50mm extra sideways to play with.
    Glue the other 50mm into the top of the bend.
    Bob Willson
    The term 'grammar nazi' was invented to make people, who don't know their grammar, feel OK about being uneducated.

Default Humm

Will that not move more away from the alignment we are trying to acheive?? I'll try that by getting the 90's and trying it out anyway. Thanks

The problem in your photo appears to be that you have run out of sideways adjustment with the S bend. This should give you some adjustment back again
    Bob Willson
    The term 'grammar nazi' was invented to make people, who don't know their grammar, feel OK about being uneducated.

Default Thanks

Will try for sure..

Default Fixed!!!

Thanks for all the help, I did have to move the trough more towards the wall so the alignment was better plus had to use some ,lot, of teflon tape(WONDERFUL product) which did the job and for a change the guy at plumbing in Bunning knew what he was talking about but their painter don't,,,,, not at my store :mad: .

I know it's finished now but the next time you are better off having the top and bottom connector closer than needed. The threaded piece in the middle of the S bend allows fo it to be adjusted closer. THose threaded joints shouldn't need any other products, silicone etc to seal properly