Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default OK you pack of pansies

It's time to think about getting off your pudgy bums and get on yer bike and get fit.

Over 9 days in late November and early December is the 2006 Great Victorian Bike Ride. It's fun for the whole family. I went last year and it was the best less than 2 week holiday I've ever had. 3 months in Thailand was better.

Last year it cost $615 dollars a head and you got a free bike. I think it'll be the same this year. It includes all meals except for lunch on the rest day.

GVBR
    Photo Gallery

Grunt, a mate of mine went as well, he is trying to get me to get fit, I have an appointment at the gym on friday for a fittness program, and I am TRYING to cut back on the bad foods..

With some luck and motivation you could well see me there
    I try and do new things twice.. the first time to see if I can do it.. the second time to see if I like it
    Kev

Quote Originally Posted by Grunt
    and you got a free bike. I think it'll be the same this year.
    Only because they cant dislodge it from ya bum....

Al

Are you suddenly insane?

Quote Originally Posted by Grunt
    It's time to think about getting off your pudgy bums and get on yer bike and get fit.

I went last year and it was the best less than 2 week holiday I've ever had. GVBR
    We all noticed you were gone.
    The forums were peaceful then
    Regards, Bob Thomas

www.wombatsawmill.com

There are a few rides to whet the appetite. NSW Bigride in the eastern Riverina takes off from Holbrook in 3 weeks. Then in March there's the Great WA Ride, a 14 day ride through the beautiful SW of WA. Thought long and hard about doing that one, but reckoned one per year is probably enough so I'll tackle Cycle Queensland in the far north in September.
    Went on last year's Cycle Queensland with 9yo grandaughter (riding independently) and we are now getting ourselves fit for this year's ride. There are going to be a lot more hills.
    Of course, if you don't cycle you could achieve the same effect by staying home and flogging yourself with barbed wire.

What size engine have these things got then?

Wow, that really sounds great! I got out my bike last year, and I'm stuffed if I know why anyone would say "It's like riding a bike, once you learn, you never forget.."
    Aw bunkum! I used to ride for hours every day, when I was a teen, but stuffed if those pedals go round anymore LOL !

Would love to get back in the habit........ maybe when the kids are old enough to ride, they'll be slow enough for long enough for me to get used to it again

Ratbag
    I know that you beleive that you understand what it is that you think that I said; But I am not sure that you realise that what you heard is not what I meant

Tell me more about the free bike!

P

I will describe the free bike as OK. At least 1000 of them did the ride last year and the mostly appeared to have made the distance.

If you have a Giant bike, stick with that. If your bike is really crappy then this isn't a bad option.

I went on the ride with a friend who towed his 4 year old son in a trailer. Hard work but he made the distance. Once children are old enough to be able to sit on a seat for 5 or so hours in a day then you can get an attachment to you bike that works a bit like a tandom. Once the kids are 9+ they can do the rides themselves.

You don't have to be super fit but the fitter you are the easier you'll find it.
    Plenty of people went with minimal training. They were undoubtedly sore at the end of each day but mostly they survived.

Hills are easier the less you weigh.
    Photo Gallery

Second Question (for Grunt and Wizened),

What sort of pace is the thing ridden at? I'm guessing not fast, if you can tow trailers full of kids!

cheers,

P

Yeah, if it's less than 30kmh then I'd probably fall asleep
    "I don't practice what I preach because I'm not the kind of person I'm preaching to."

That's what I'm thinking, but then I'd die after 50 k!

P

The answer is, however fast you want to ride. Some ride like madmen and do a 70 k day in less then 2 hours others take 7 hours to do the same. I probably averaged around 20kph for the full ride. Probably would have been faster except the first 3 days on the flat had a 25kph head wind. Then it got lumpy.

One person I know actually put on weight on the ride because they stopped at every winery, cheese factory and coffee shop on the way.

The average distance will be around 70ks a day. There will be one 100k+ day ride. This ride is going from Wangaratta, up through Mt Beauty and to Yarra Glen. It will be hillier then last years ride.
    Photo Gallery

I got tired just reading the description.