Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  11
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mobyturns is offline In An Instant Your Life Can Change Forever

Default Have you been getting the run around?

Another post sparked a touchy subject for me - "grey imports" or "parallel imports" or more specifically importers who are NOT the "official importer" who sell tools, machinery etc then do not live up to their obligations under Australian Consumer Law to provide service and spare parts support to their customers "for a reasonable period."

Then as a customer we face the additional but quite lawful indignity of not being able to access spare parts from the "official importer" of a brand as they refuse to supply support and or spare parts / consumable parts (bandsaw guides, sander feed belts etc.) to a competitors customers. Most want proof of purchase or a machine serial number before providing support.

In my instance I purchased a 'Brand X" bandsaw from "Company A" who resells machinery imported by "Company B" neither of which inform their customers that the machinery they sell under that "Brand X" are "parallel / grey" imports and that they are not the "official importer" in Australia for "Brand X." Under ACL they have an obligation to do so at the time of purchase!

At the time I purchased "Brand X" bandsaw I was not informed of the "parallel import" situation, but was aware of specification differences between suppliers of "Brand X" machines. There was no significant advantage in pricing - however - had I known that spare parts and service support would not be available in the future I would have gone to the official importer "Company C."

"Company C" the legitimate Australian importer of "Brand X" refuses to supply service / spare parts support to customers of "Company A" and "Company B" which they can lawfully do under ACL. I fully understand and support their decision on a number of points however I fail to see why they do not take the opportunity to win back customers.

Then we face the additional situation that it becomes very unclear "who" actually is obliged to support "name brands" that have been punted from company to company over time.

Unfortunately the ACCC has much bigger fish to pursue - i.e. Telcos, Oil Companies, 7-11 etc to worry about wood working tool and machinery suppliers.

However that should not stop us from putting the companies who "parallel import" tool and machinery on notice to actually back their claims and to provide the service and support for the tools, machinery etc that they import and supply.

Having a very service worthy machine that will cost more than $3.5k to replace sitting about because I can't get <$300 worth of spare parts is very annoying.

Personally I'm really annoyed about the lack of spare parts availability for wood working machinery on name brands and the companies who imported / sold the "grey imports" and who then will not support their customers with spare parts that will require replacement - bandsaw guides, sander feed belts etc. Appalling imo! (rant over)

Mobyturns

In An Instant Your Life CanChange Forever

As you don't name the offending companies your post is of no benefit to the wider woodworking community.

Naming them could at least warn others and possibly put pressure on them to change their unacceptable behaviour.

Even if parts are available, then there's the time taken to get them, and prices can be on the stupid side

About a year out of the then 2 year warranty period on my Sherwood 10" combo planer/thicknesser I noticed the fence was wrapped and both the locking clamps had failed so I thought I would rjust eplace them.
    Contact Timbecon by email - I got a reply, "we will get them in on the next shipment in 3 months time". - can't remember the prices quoted but they were not too bad
    After 4 months email again - no response.
    A few weeks later I was in at the store and spoke to someone about it - nope, my request was not registered on the spares list, dude writes it in. 8-12 weeks estimated time.
    3 months go by email again - no response - call - yes shipment came in but some parts did not arrive.
    Wait another 3 months call again - that was when Timbecom changed hands - new owner - sorry I don't know anything about these parts - new dude writes it on a new list.
    3 months later - called - nope didn't come in will put them on the next list
    I've never heard back about these .

In the meantime I bought alternate parts and made a new fence.

Fence.jpg

A similar thing happened with my Woodfast mini lathe bought thru Carbatech.

This problem is one factor that has a driven me into making my own repairs, fortunately I have the gear and some metal working skills but not all woodies are that way inclined.

Quote Originally Posted by Bohdan View Post
    As you don't name the offending companies your post is of no benefit to the wider woodworking community.

Naming them could at least warn others and possibly put pressure on them to change their unacceptable behaviour.
    There are a few legal issues with naming specific companies & brands for alleged misconduct under ACL.

IMO it is an industry wide problem and one that importers / resellers are very conveniently and deliberately ducking their obligations under ACL by obfuscating the issue with delays, misinformation, "errors" in ordering, false "leads" and failing miserably with customer service support.

I have already sought advice from the ACCC on my specific issue. The ACCC have asked me to pursue the issue further with the importer of the machine, then to refer my complaint to the Office of Fair Trading.

Currently I am being fobbed off by all past and current importers of "Brand X." I still have one current line of inquiry which ultimately I suspect will end in a similar scenario to BobL's post above.

My recommendation to any purchasers of machinery in Australia is to purchase "consumable" replacement spare parts at the time of original purchase (bandsaw guides, carbide inserts, motor brushes etc). If the supplier can not supply them with the purchase - walk away from the sale!! I can not emphasize this point strongly enough.

If they haven't spare parts inventory at purchase it is my opinion that it is highly unlikely in the current market that they will ever carry any inventory of parts.

The issue at hand is that suppliers imo are not fulfilling their obligations under ACL. There is also the matter of different interpretations of what constitutes "a reasonable period."

I already have a "Plan B" to modify the machine to accept after market parts that are of a much higher quality than OME. However I want to resolve the OME option first due to the current COVID imposed delays on shipping etc.
    Mobyturns

Maybe we should maintain an Excel file list of official importer vs parallel / grey importer to at least educate buyers who is more likely to be able to supply parts.

i am going to show my ignorance here - are we talking about the total tools selling carbatec equipment type scenario here?
    or someone selling laguna stuff when carbatec is the australian supplier?
    the sherwood really confused me as i thought they were machines that were made from a generic factory in china/taiwan - and badged as sherwoods - is that the issue?

or is it totally different companies that i dont even know about...

Quote Originally Posted by Hangfire View Post
    the sherwood really confused me as i thought they were machines that were made from a generic factory in china/taiwan - and badged as sherwoods - is that the issue?
    Nothing that complicated. My gripe was a distinct lack of any sort of parts service, saying they'd get spares in multiple times in then but never getting back to me - this happened over several years. I now even wonder whether they can even get parts. Has anyone ever got a part for a Sherwood machine?

you arent filling me with confidence.... i have a sherwood bandsaw coming in on back order....

you arent filling me with confidence.... i have a sherwood bandsaw coming in on back order....
    Sorry. That was 8-10 years ago and it may have just been my particular case.
    Hopefully things have improve?

I have also needed Sherwoods parts for my Drill press and Contractor Table saw but these days I just make my own.

On my Drill press, after 10 years use the plastic knob threads disintegrated became sloppy and fell off.
    I replace all the plastic knobs with these wooden balls - 8 years on the balls are still fine.
    Knobs.jpg
    I also lost the MT removal key but this was easy enough to make.

When I upped the motor from a 1HP to a 1.5HP with VFD, the new motor had a 19mm shaft compared to the original which was 16mm. I was going to just bore out the old pulley but I usually try and keep all original machine bits in case I every want to restore the machine back to original state. So I thought about buying a new motor pulley to bore that out but I couldn't wait and ended up using the original motor on something else so I just bored out the old pulley.

As well as a VFD, the DP has been further tricked out with, tacho, keyless chuck, 5" X-Y vice, a LED ring light. and electric table lift.

The plastic belt guards on the Sherwood contractor saw fell apart after a couple of years but I didn't bother to replace them. The blade tilt/rise/fall wheel collars are badly worn and need replacing but I rarely drop or tilt the blade - when they die I will replace them with home made jobs.

The mitre slide eventuallywore to the point where it was quite sloppy so I added bronze adjusters to the slide which sorted that problem out. I've replaced the throat plate insert with an Al zero clearance plate, Completely remade the OH guard and dust extraction to take 4/6" ducting and added a router wing

I keep reminding myself these machines are very much budget end machines, it was all I could afford at the time. Given they are all now more than 14 years old I can't really complain. Now that I can afford to I have thought about upgrading them but the DP is now working more or less as I like it. Unlike the original, the TS has great dust extraction but gets mainly used to cut Al, and the planer/ thicknesser doesn't get much use so I can't really justify the expense.

i am going to show my ignorance here - are we talking about the total tools selling carbatec equipment type scenario here?

That is one example of a reseller - Carbatec would have an obligation to support machines sold by their resellers.

That is an example of "parallel / grey imports" - Carbatec have no obligation under ACL so may refuse to support machines sold by their competitor. Brands that have had various official importers over a number of years are problematic, it becomes unclear "who" is responsible to provide spare parts support - "we are no longer the representative / importer of Brand X."

The overseas manufacturer of generic machines sold under various brand names have no obligation under ACL (to the best of my knowledge) however the importer of the machine does. The various specification levels supplied to each importer only complicates the parts issues - i.e. Euro style band saw guides vs. roller bearing guides etc.

Yes.
    Mobyturns

Quote Originally Posted by BobL View Post
    Nothing that complicated. My gripe was a distinct lack of any sort of parts service, saying they'd get spares in multiple times in then but never getting back to me - this happened over several years. I now even wonder whether they can even get parts. Has anyone ever got a part for a Sherwood machine?
    My experience with Timbecon / Sherwood is quite different to BobL's but I suspect that it has more to do with a batch of new machines found to be faulty and the fault becoming apparent very quickly in the machines life cycle i.e. they were still being manufactured and supplied.
    Mobyturns

so carbatec as an authorised reseller of laguna here in australia would have no requirement that they service/support the machine in the future?

how would one go about buying a laguna then if they dont sell themselves here?

i am interested hyopthetically, i am not looking to buy one.

Quote Originally Posted by Mobyturns View Post
    My experience with Timbecon / Sherwood is quite different to BobL's but I suspect that it has more to do with a batch of new machines found to be faulty and the fault becoming apparent very quickly in the machines life cycle i.e. they were still being manufactured and supplied.

Could be as I have no experience with the current new "brown" machines.
    Parts warping or stuff breaking early in the life or a machine is a manufacturing issue - given the budget price of these machines and how long they have lasted I'm actually mostly not that worried about this.
    However, if a part does wear or break or I lose a part, failure to have replacements parts available is/was a dealer problem as is failure to keep the customer informed. Things may have changed - hopefully they have.

Apart from heavy stuff like Steel, or sheets of ply etc I now buy most of what I need online. However, I have bought and still some buy (mostly consumbles like glues, oils, and some fixings etc) from Timbecon. I guess I go there about every 3 months or so. The current staff are friendly and helpful and they have a wide range of stuff. No problems with this sort of stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by BobL View Post
    The motor on my Sherwood tablesaw failed in warranty. Timbecon replaced it.
    Given that I'm not that close to a capital city I was a bit concerned about the process, but they found a local business to replace the motor.

Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffen View Post
    The motor on my Sherwood tablesaw failed in warranty. Timbecon replaced it.
    Given that I'm not that close to a capital city I was a bit concerned about the process, but they found a local business to replace the motor.
    Jeff

I would expect them to do this under warranty and I've never heard of them not meeting warranty claims, but nothing on my machines required replacement or fixing during the warranty period.
    BUT
    That doesn't mean businesses should forget about making spares available after the warranty period expires especially given the machines were all current models at the time they were requested.