Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default Twin Drum Sander options?

Looking to buy a twin drum sander but there doesn't seem to be a lot of options out there in the market at the moment with Jet having gone - Timbecon won't have stock of their twin drum Sherwood sander until May, Carbatec only have their own brand model and no Laguna's, Gregory's seem to be lacking in options too now that they aren't doing Laguna. Any other options out there? Looking for a twin drum sander at least 630mm wide, doesn't need to be one of the "open one end" models.

New salida SL 3724 Wide Belt Drum Sanders in RICHLANDS, QLD

Leda do one (which I have) and powermatic make a good one too which I’ve run before. The old man had the Hare&Forbes one but it was a bit underpowered.
    ring JC Walsh and tell Andrew that you’re looking they will find one for you.

Default Powermatic

I have the Powermatic 3 phase twin drum. Plenty of power and good to use.
    630 wide.
    It handles full sized slabs without overbalancing.

I also have a 16-32 single drum 1 phase. Much less power and smaller table.
    It is fine if you take your time and don't try to put long boards through it.
    Scally

Quote Originally Posted by RSD View Post
    Looking to buy a twin drum sander but there doesn't seem to be a lot of options out there in the market at the moment ...
    Does it have to be new?

Not necessarily no.

Quote Originally Posted by GraemeCook View Post
    Does it have to be new?
    Not necessarily no.

Quote Originally Posted by Scally View Post
    I have the Powermatic 3 phase twin drum. Plenty of power and good to use.
    630 wide.
    It handles full sized slabs without overbalancing.

I also have a 16-32 single drum 1 phase. Much less power and smaller table.
    It is fine if you take your time and don't try to put long boards through it.
    I'm trying to find out who distributes Powermatic in Australia but am not having any luck via google - do you know?

Quote Originally Posted by RSD View Post
    I'm trying to find out who distributes Powermatic in Australia but am not having any luck via google - do you know?
    probably no one. from a quick google, powermatic is basically the same as jet and grizzly. A company called JPW owns both powermatic and jet (according to their website)

seems like one big factory in china churns out most of them:
    巨庭機械股份有限公司 - Strategic Partenrship
    click on their "products at a glance" and you'll see they make planners, jointers and table saws.

ridgid... also known as AEG here seem to come from them as well.

Unfortunately only Carbatec had rights to Powermatic and Jet...both of which have decided to pull the plug on the brand. So you're left off with the brands you mentioned.

You can obviously import your own from overseas but thats obviously got its own host of challenges/issues.

I have the Carbatec twin drum and provided you don't have unrealistic expectations it works fine. If you want something quicker/more reliable go for a wide belt sander.

I second Riverbuilder. The Leda or Salida (they are the same machine) are simple and reliable. Mine has given good service even though it was second hand.

If you have 3 phase, why not invest in a proper wide belt sander say 900mm wide? Machines4U should have plenty of 2nd hand.

here is an example

Used 2007 leda LEDA Twin 630mm Wide Belt Sander Year 2018 MULTI-BRUSH 1m Through Feed SOLD Wide Belt Drum Sanders in ARNDELL PARK, NSW

or a Holytek
    Used holytek Holytek 900mm Paint Sander Wide Belt Drum Sanders in SUNSHINE, VIC
    SCM L'Invincibile si X, SCM L'Invincibile S7, SCM TI 145EP, SCM Sandya Win 630, Masterwood OMB1V, Meber 600, Delta RJ42, Nederman S750, Chicago Pneumatics CPRS10500, Ceccato CDX12