Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Default RIP The Lemon Crisp.

While pondering SilentC's search for the traditional Oz kitchen, I got to thinking about my grandmother's kitchen, anzac biscuits, pikelets, shelling peas and of course Iced Vo-Vo's.

Then in a flash of inspiration: THE LEMON CRISP a rather bizarre "bought" biscuit with sweet pastry, a lemon cream filling, and a salty taste.

Couldn't help m'self.

Bought a packet for morning tea (to share!).

Then I noticed the Asian Script on the side of the pack - they're made in Oz to export, the lemon essence smell is still there albeit that one has to sniff harder to find it, the salt is still there, but the flavour and texture are gone!!

RIP The Lemon Crisp.

Cheers,

P

I'm sure wagon wheels have gotton smaller since I was a kid.
    I feel good today Silent Bob.

Nah, my old wagon had 15" wheels and my new one has 17" ones.

Quote Originally Posted by bitingmidge
    the lemon essence smell is still there albeit that one has to sniff harder to find it, the salt is still there, but the flavour and texture are gone!!

P
    Peter,

The descent into old age can creep up on you As the bard puts it: "The sixth age shifts into the lean and slippered pantaloon, with spectacles on nose and pouch on side ....is second childishness and mere oblivion, sans teeth, sans eyes, sans taste, sans everything." (Hamlet)

Rocker

Beachport, South Oz, the best little town on the planet.

Are "Iced VO VOs' " still around? I loved them as a kid.

the flavour and texture are gone
    I don't recall the particular biscuit of which you speak but I often wonder if our taste buds deteriorate like all the other senses do. Quite a few things don't taste as good to me now as they did when I was a kid.
    "I don't practice what I preach because I'm not the kind of person I'm preaching to."

...Couldn't help m'self.

Bought a packet for morning tea (to share!)....
    You do all the important research....

Who else would worry about the declining standards & eminent demise of good old aussie biscuits from last century?

I don't think you'll have a problem retiring, you'll find something to do I'm sure.
    Cliff.
    If you find a post of mine that is missing a pic that you'd like to see, let me know & I'll see if I can find a copy.

Quote Originally Posted by Cliff Rogers
    Who else would worry about the declining standards & eminent demise of good old aussie biscuits from last century?
    Dick Smith?? :eek: :eek: :eek:

It's a tough job, I'll admit, but someone has to do it!

P

Quote Originally Posted by silentC
    ...I often wonder if our taste buds deteriorate like all the other senses do. Quite a few things don't taste as good to me now as they did when I was a kid.
    I don't think they deteriorate, I think they 'develope'....
    some things taste HEAPS better now than what they did when I was a kid....

Beer, wine, port, coffee, any cheese other than Kraft Processed Cheddar, pumpkin, (my mum had to put sugar on it to get me to eat it, love it now) cabbage, brussell sprouts, lemon tart, sorbet, brazil nuts..... there are more but I can't think of them.
    Cliff.
    If you find a post of mine that is missing a pic that you'd like to see, let me know & I'll see if I can find a copy.

Dick Smith?? :eek: :eek: :eek:

A case in point (silly saying)....
    There is a bloke who doesn't really need to work but feels he must.
    Cliff.

some things taste HEAPS better now than what they did when I was a kid
    Are you sure that's not a symptom of the same problem?
    "I don't practice what I preach because I'm not the kind of person I'm preaching to."

Believe it or not, you have just raised a philosophical problem to do with the existence of 'qualia'. Here's a story (see Hofstadter and Dennett, The Mind's I):
    Once upon a time, there were two coffee tasters, Mr. Chase and Mr. Sanborn, who worked for Maxwell House. Along with half a dozen other coffee tasters, their job was to ensure that the taste of Maxwell House stayed constant, year after year. One day, about six years after Mr. Chase had come to work for Maxwell House, he cleared his throat and confessed to Mr. Sanborn:
    “You know, I hate to admit it, but I’m not enjoying this work any more. When I came to Maxwell House six years ago, I thought Maxwell House coffee was the best-tasting coffee in the world. I was proud to have a share in the responsibility for preserving that flavour over the years. And we’ve done our job well; the coffee tastes today just the way it tasted when I arrived. But, you know, I no longer like it! My tastes have changed. I’ve become a more sophisticated coffee drinker. I no longer like that taste at all."

Sanborn greeted this revelation with considerable interest. “It’s funny you should mention it,” he replied, “for something rather similar has happened to me. When I arrived here, shortly before you did, I, like you, thought Maxwell House coffee was tops in flavour. And now I, like you, really don’t care for the coffee we’re making. But my tastes haven’t changed; my ... tasters have changed. That is, I think something has gone wrong with my taste buds or something—you know, the way your taste buds go off when you take a bite of pancakes and maple syrup and then go back to your orange juice? Maxwell House coffee doesn’t taste to me the way it used to taste; if only it did, I’d still love it, for I still think that taste is the best taste in coffee. Now, I’m not saying we haven’t done our job well. You other guys all agree that the taste is the same, so it must be my problem alone. I guess I’m no longer cut out for this work.”
    How do you tell the difference between these two people’s situations? Beer is an acquired taste—you gradually learn to like the flavour; but what flavour? The flavour of the first sip? But that flavour was horrible. What you do is acquire a different enjoyable way of tasting.

If you think you can confirm your opinions about your own tastes, then there is a possibility you might be wrong!

Sorry about that. You have got my mouth watering for Lemon Crisps now.
    Those are my principles, and if you don't like them . . . well, I have others.

Drop Bear Capital of Gippsland (Lang Lang) Vic Australia

I never acquired a taste for my MIL's cooking
    Or my SIL's boiled rice, one cup rice, four cups water, boil violently for one hour, serve, resembles hot clag
    Stupidity kills. Absolute stupidity kills absolutely.

Quote Originally Posted by Christopha
    Are "Iced VO VOs' " still around? I loved them as a kid.
    I believe they are, although they also seem smaller and not as thick an icing anymore.
    Brett

Only Robinson Crusoe could get everything done by Friday!

Back to basics, home made ANZAC bikkies still taste the same trouble is most get eaten before they can cool down at our place.

Just awakened memories of Mum's Pavs, sadly missed.