Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Thread: Block planes

Question Block planes

All, has some kind person or could some kind person done a comparison between these three block planes : LN LA, LV LA & HNT (Gidgee). I have some tax money I wish to spend and have decided to get a block plane, but am now undecided :confused: as which way to jump.

. . . For whom the bell tolls . . . the darkside is growing . . .
    Pat
    Work is a necessary evil to be avoided. Mark Twain

Pat,

I seem to recall a comparison was made in Australian Wood Review recently but I am not 100% sure.

You will find they are all excellent planes. The differences are minor and come down to personal preference or people justifying what they already own.

Is it possible for you to have a trial run using the planes to help make your decision? Perhaps someone on this BB near you can let you have a play with their plane.
    - Wood Borer

I would get either the LN or the LV in low angle format. Low cutting angles will cut more cleanly and easily on end grain. Get a second blade and increase the bevel angle to 45-50 degrees, and this will give you a supersmoother for face grain or fixing small areas of tearout on difficult timbers. You do not get this versatility with the HNT Gordon block plane.

For the record, I have not used the LV block plane (really!) but have read terrific reviews of it. I do have the LN 60 1/2 and this is fantastic (a little smaller than the LV). I also have a vintage Stanley #65 with Hock blade, and this actually beats out the LN on endgrain (but is not as comfortable in the hand).

Regards from Perth

Derek

Quote Originally Posted by derekcohen
    I also have a vintage Stanley #65 with Hock blade, and this actually beats out the LN on endgrain (but is not as comfortable in the hand).
    Hi Derek,

Since the Stanley #65 has an adjustable mouth, was the mouth sufficient for the Hock blade without modification?

Hi Michael

The Hock blade is thicker and better quality steel than the Stanley, so holds an edge longer. The thickness does not make any difference regarding fit since it is a bevel up configuration (unlike the bevel down bench planes). It will fit perfectly.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Quote Originally Posted by derekcohen
    I would get either the LN or the LV in low angle format. Low cutting angles will cut more cleanly and easily on end grain. Get a second blade and increase the bevel angle to 45-50 degrees, and this will give you a supersmoother for face grain or fixing small areas of tearout on difficult timbers. You do not get this versatility with the HNT Gordon block plane.

For the record, I have not used the LV block plane (really!) but have read terrific reviews of it. I do have the LN 60 1/2 and this is fantastic (a little smaller than the LV). I also have a vintage Stanley #65 with Hock blade, and this actually beats out the LN on endgrain (but is not as comfortable in the hand).

Regards from Perth

Derek
    The LV is a bit larger, but it is bulkier as well. This has put some people off. I have smallish hands and I find it comfortable nonetheless. I also like my son's LN. Either work equally well.

Personally, I would toss a coin. Not really. But I do like them both.

Mike

Pat
    When it comes to block planes I'm more than a bit biased. But all the same, you wont go wrong with a LN 60½ adjustable mouth block. And as Derek advised get a second blade ground to 38° so you can easily increase the cutting angle when needed on difficult timbers.

ian

The LV plane also takes an accessory knob & handle that make it a small B.U. smoother - or just give you more to hang onto

Im using a Veritas LA block plane (bought from MIK Adelaide) and am very happy with it. Minimal tuning required when I got it and it handles end grain work very well.
    Whatever note you blow youre never more than a semitone away from the correct one....(Miles Davis)

I got a Veritas LA block plane at the Adelaide WW show (also from MIK) & I reckon it's great, straight out of the box.

Reg

Smile

I have the Lie-Nielsen 60 1/2 low angle block plane and I reckon its a great tool. I bought it from Lie-Nielsen Australia at the last Sydney wood show.

Australian Wood Review featured a block plane review in Issue 43, June 2004. The Lie-Nielsen, Veritas and HNT Gordon were all included in the review and coincidently were rated as the top 3 of those reviewed. Other makes included in the review were Stanley, Record, Bridge City and Holtey. The reviewer gave top honours to the Veritas, second was the HNT Gordon and third was the Lie-Nielsen 60 1/2. The reviewer, Robert Howard, made the point that you couldn't go wrong buying either one of the top 3.

Thumbs up

I have the LV LA block, which was fine straight out of the box. It fits in the hand quite well and mine are not large, and as said great for end grain work.
    Can't compare it with the LN, but quite a serviceable plane for it's purpose.

JohnC