Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Attaching a Powerpoint

Doing some work on the floors and skirting at the moment. I had to take off the powerpoints in 5 spots. I turned the mains power off when I did this - now left with exposed wires.

I could probably have a crack at putting them back - I know it seems dead simple but I am just paranoid about electricuting myself.

Is it advisable to get a sparky to do this? It's probably about a 5 minute job really.

Thanks in advance

Being a sparky, having seen the results of some "home wiring" and having had a few decent jolts I advise you to spend a few dollars and get it done properly.

Dead is dead.

I would get a sparkie even for the simple jobs now .....

I tried to replace some light fittings ... most seemed to work ok as they turned off and on with the correct switch.

When it came to the laundry, outside light and toilet it was all buggered up and I needed to turn off the laundry, to turn on the outside light which would let me turn on the toilet.

After a day of trying different combinations I finally called in the expert.
    As it turns out I had stuffed up the combinations and made the light fittings active themselves :eek: even the ones that seemed to work correctly. It would have been a big zap the first time I changes globes.

Got a sparkie in who fixed the laundry, toilet and exterior lights in about 10 minutes, then he fixed the rest of the active lights.

Very cheap .... very safe.

IF YOU ARE NOT SURE .... DONT PLAY WITH WIRES.

..... now plumbing ..... thats a different story
    Now proudly sponsored by Binford Tools. Be sure to check out the Binford 6100 - available now at any good tool retailer.

Do you have a safety device?

I have had to do some stuff in the past out of real need and no sparkies available.

With Powerpoints, it is hard to go wrong, the back is colour coded to match the wires. Red to the red connector(A), black to black(N) and yellow/green to (E).

I wouldn't do anything if there wasn't a safety device! Also double check with a multi-meter that the power is off.

The other complication with powerpoints is that there are often cascading connections, where one powerpoint is used to feed others and so.

Interestingly enough, I'd say after renovating my house the most suspect wiring is that done by licensed electricians - sad really, they come in and want to get everything done in 10 minutes to get to the next job.

As indicated by the post above...lights are a little more complicated because:
    a. they are generally not earthed.
    b. you might have one light connected to more than one switch.
    c. you may have (as per powerpoint) have one switch acting as a junction for another (which is probably what went wrong in the above).
    d. a Lot let space for the cables to connect into.....for that reason the trend seems to be that lights have at the switch end all the black (N) terminated in a terminating cap and then taped. ( as is the case with lighting earths).

Powerpoints are very straight forward.
    1. Make sure if your mains are off.
    2. Test that your mains are off...
    3. Use you're multi-meter....
    4. If you are not comfortable then don't do,,,,

I think you have a better chance of being electrocuted if you don't put the powerpoints back. Need to cover those exposed wires you see....

On a serious note I agree with spartan, pretty straight forward, just connect them back like they were...

Cheers
    Pulse

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Stinkalot
    I would get a sparkie even for the simple jobs now .....

I tried to replace some light fittings ... most seemed to work ok as they turned off and on with the correct switch.

When it came to the laundry, outside light and toilet it was all buggered up and I needed to turn off the laundry, to turn on the outside light which would let me turn on the toilet.
    Ahhhhhh, Stinky.
    Ya gave me a good laugh after a hard day at the orifice....

Al

I just need to get them temporarily covered again. Not getting new skirting etc put in for a few weeks so I just wanted them installed temporarily.

We aren't living in the house but with the powerpoint wires exposed, I have the mains power off. I don't want to turn it back until the wires are reconnected, but I am going to need power shortly.

We do have a safety switch by the way.

One sparky quoted $100 just to temporarily reattach 5 powerpoints - seemed like money down the drain.

Quote Originally Posted by vGolfer
    Doing some work on the floors and skirting at the moment. I had to take off the powerpoints in 5 spots. I turned the mains power off when I did this - now left with exposed wires.
    If you were able to take them of then you would also be able to put them back the same way.

If not sure how the wires go, most powerpoints have the colours marked on them or you can have a look at another one.

Peter.

It may sound as if I am attempting to protect my fellow trade, but being illegal to work unlicenced (thus voiding any insurance claim against any wiring fault in the house and having the potential to kill somebody), wouldn't you feel bloody awful if you advised somebody to do some electrical work without knowing what tools they had, whether they terminated correctly, tested the voltages with a multimeter etc. and something happened.

I say shop around and get it done properly. If I lived near by I would do it for nothing, for at least my peace of mind.

Spartan I hope you don't tar all sparkies with the same brush.

Cheers,
    Mat

Wassy, no not all! There are obivously some very good ones out...I'm sure you are one of those...I have had a good one do some work for me....mainly all the stuff connected to my board and three phase stuff...which I wouldn't touch that in a million years. The problem is that the good ones are busy, usually real busy. I guess its about knowing your limitations and not crossing them.

In fact it was a good sparky who told me about the problems that I had, and told me stuff like....'see that..well its safe...but not real professional, and its a short cut etc..'

I'm sure you do see heaps of dodgy stuff. I know that there is also some stuff that the previous owner of my house must have done, i.e., using non fixed wiring...extension cords connected to fixed outlets....Interestingly if I had not put in some cat5e I would have never known. If there was a fire etc, I think I could have made a very good case that said...'hey there have been three other owners of my place,,,anyone of them could have done that.

Building inspections don't comment on that stuff either - they specifically exclude it.

I accept your point about not knowing the capabilities/tools etc of others.

It is interesting though in the UK and the US...that the average joe can do basic home electrical work..

cheers!
    Last edited by spartan; 7th September 2005 at 08:11 PM. Reason: speeling

don't be silly
    why don't you sell your dust extractors and tie a hankie round your head
    mate find yourself a good tradesman ( i know there hard to find but try )
    once you do you'll be happy especially if your undertaking ongoing renos
    if in doubt ring your local branch of the electrical contractors asc.
    A SAFE SITE IS A HAPPY SITE

Blue = neutral
    Brown = Active
    Green = Earth

Get an electrician . As stated before by a wise poster , dead is dead .
    Even to get a shock will most likley not kill you but there is a small chance it can put your heart out of rythm .

Rick
    Many times burnt
    hate it .

Quote Originally Posted by rick_rine
    Blue = neutral
    Brown = Active
    Green = Earth

:confused: :confused: :confused:

We're talking of fixed wiring not the cords on an appliance, so Red is Active, Black is Neutral and Yellow/Green is Earth.

Peter.

If it's only a temporary cover-up of exposed wiring, what about taping up the wires - each wire individually taped of course, not in bundles of the three wires. Then get the electrician in to reconnect power points when you have finished the skirtings.

Sparkies might like to comment.

Or go to your local electrical supplier and buy some BP connectors. Screw them on to the individual wires and tape them up. They are then insulated from you and each other allowing you to turn the mains back on. Then have the outlets re connected by a licensed sparky when your skirting is done.

BTW, I am a sparky
    "There is no dark side of the moon really. Matter of fact it's all dark."