Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default californian bungalow interior timberwork

The interior woodwork in an old Californian Bungalow seems to be in fairly original condition. It is stained a very dark colour, not black but a very dark brown. I'm uncetain what wood type it is, but I need to match some new solid maple doors. Might be a big ask! Would apreciate any help.

cool...the place i live in is fitted out in the californian bungalow style, it was built in about the early 1900's, although i'm just renting...the proffesional way to get the dark original colour is to use black japan, even the can says it is ideal for reproducing the dark colour used in the old homes, so go with that it will give the best results and will last ...applying it is another story...oh , and the timber would be oregon, although sometimes cedar was used...
    Hurry, slowly

There is an interesting article in the current Australian Woodsmith that you may find interesting on this. There is a discussion on the use of "asphaltum varnish stain". I've never used this myself but it sounds interesting.

I happen to own an interesting book entitled "Australian Houses of the 20's and 30's" by Peter Cuffley (ISBN 0-86788-209-3). You might find this interesting though I've no idea if it is still in print but I somehow doubt it as I bought it at least 15 years ago. You might try the library to see if they can arrange an inter-library loan.

Anyway, on page 145 there is this interesting paragraph that is relevant to your enquiry...

Stained timber was generally in the darker hues; it could vary from mid-brown to almost black. In fact in some examples black was used. In others a dark green stain furthered the rustic effect. Dean's wood dye and Dean's Underlac were available in seventeen standard shades and could be lightened with methylated spirits or darkened by adding No. 172 Flemish Oak Dye, which was jet black. Good quality stains were more expensive than paints. The cheapest way was (and still is) Condy's Crystals in water (a few grams per litre).

One endnote to add to that paragraph: there is a reference to "The Home Craftsman" Vol.1., No 1, Melbourne, September 1923. Lord knows where you will find that but I guess the major state libraries would be a good place to start or the National Library.

I have no idea what the original dyes/stains were (I'm not sufficiently expert in this area, Perhaps Neil can chime in here) but one option may be to dye shellac and build the colour until you are happy. The worst thing that can happen is that you strip back using neat meths and start again.

Anyway, my $0.02's worth...

just use the black japan mate, it is easy and it's used by antique restorers and professionals ...savvy
    Hurry, slowly

Thankyou for the information guys'! Will let you know how it turns out.