Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default Help needed restoring a table

Hi

I have recently bought a modern hardwood dining table that extends via a fold away center section. The center section is perfect condition, but the two end sections, which are the ones normally used everyday, are damaged. The surface of the center section is a uniform smooth appearance just like when it was bought, but the exposed sections are mottled in appearance, in parts it looks like the surface of orange peel, though you have to look in the light at a glancing angle to see it, its not totally obvious.

The question is what is the best thing to do to resore the table surface so the end sections are the same as the center section? i know litle about wood finishing though I can use my hands perfecly well, so a pointer in the right direction would be very appreciated. Do I need to remove the existing surface, if so what with, and will it need re colouring and ten varnishing or polishing?

I am not sure what it is treated with but I am guessing its not a wax??

The table is a warm brown - red but i am unsure as to the exact wood species.

thanks for any help
    Last edited by brit_in_oz; 10th July 2005 at 09:04 PM.

I have used Marveers furniture polish to good effect on newish tables. Seems to get them quite clean and does a reasonable job getting a shine back on. Ubeaut here sells some polish reviver which might be a good bet too. I have never used it, as everything I need to restore requires sanding back...but I am sure someone here has and will give their opinion as to its effectiveness.
    Semtex fixes all

Thanks

Is this abbrasive at all? The reason I ask is the surface lookslike its been heat damaged or someting like that and the coating has actually been affected so would a polish work alone without something to rub out the offending coating?

I have found Marveers manages to 'hide' scratches in finish, so it may not necessarily need sanding. The Polish reviver is also a liquid which should just need a bit of rubbing...when I find something that needs it I will buy some and try it out for myself.
    Semtex fixes all

Quote Originally Posted by brit_in_oz
    Hi

The question is what is the best thing to do to resore the table surface so the end sections are the same as the center section? i

thanks for any help
    Hi Brit,

I think that, for any informed, help you'll need to post a pic or two, preferably with the type of wood as well.

If it's heat damaged (white-ish marks?), it may have a shellac of French Polish finish. This generally needs removing and re-applying, but, again, only a pic will tell.

Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by brit_in_oz
    i know litle about finishing though I can use my hands perfecly well,
    Come up and see me sometime big boy.

Al

Ok here are some pics (bear in mind these are taken at night so the colour is a bit richer than in daylight

The full table
    http://members.optusnet.com.au/vicl5r/full.JPG

View of the hidden center section (good) on the left and damaged section on right
    http://members.optusnet.com.au/vicl5r/split.JPG

The unstained runners so you can see what the wood may be
    http://members.optusnet.com.au/vicl5r/unstained.JPG

more pics in the links next post of the damge alone

From the grain in the runners, the timber looks very much like Tassie Oak (a semi-hardwood). The damaged areas, though, seem to be more like water damage than heat, and is that blistering in the pics? (a bit hard to tell with the reflections from the flash) If it is, I suspect that the only remedy will be a complete strip back and re-finish.

However, if you can find a small slightly hidden area (under the table edge?) you could try some of the proprietary furniture restorers (try uBeaut first, of course!)

Cheers!

thaks for the help

No blisters, its all smooth to the touch, just looks like that in the pic, but you get the idea i think