Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Question Aust. Red Cedar Slab

Hey there guys,
    im fairly new to the woodwoorking scene and have been working on an australian red cedar desk for the past 2 weeks sanding it up and biscuiting the side panels. By pot luck i stumbled across the "massive" forum and fell in love at first sight. What brings me here is on the surface of my slab aprox.1600x700x40 there is a large knot in the center, this wouldnt be such a problem if this slab wasnt from a several hundred year old tree which was salvaged and seems to have obtained some rot. i plan on routing it out and putting some type of stone in it for it is very special project to me and i want it to be perfect. Please recomend any ideas of how i could cover this up and also several other cracks which are rather small and a suitable laquer, also your recomended gloss % ive got some 30 and not sure if its suitable. If anything comes to mind i would apreciate it if you could share some of your knowledge for i only got into this 3 years ago and am now 20. Thanks heaps

Andy

PSut of billions of net sights for me this one is up the top

Welcome to the forum
    For your finish try the u-beaut products first ( they sponser this forum) and are the quality product in the market
    The guide / handbook will cover your problem and many that you may experiance in the future and is a great place to start.

Go to the bottom of this page for the link Rgds
    Russell

Earth is the insane asylum for the universe.

thanks that helps a lot,
    one last thing does anyone know of an e-store where i could purchase a decorative stone suitable for inlay

If you give your location in aus you may find someone can put you on to a local supplier

Rgds
    Russell

Earth is the insane asylum for the universe.

Thumbs up nsw origin champs

NSW-Woolongong, its the icing on the wood
    thx for all ya help

How big is the knot, is it in the very center or off center?

What about a large inlay motif in the center and have matching corner inlay in each corner then add some inlay strip around the edges, should look real fancy! , check out carbatec or timbecon for some inlay gear.

Or you could consider an epoxy inlay ... you can get metallic colours to tint it. Not my cup of tea but you see a fair bit of it in decorated turned bowls.
    Cheers, Ern