Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default Asking the impossible: A timber ID

From reading this forum, this question has to be the most difficult: What are these timber types?

My smarter and way-better half bought an expandable table on Gumtree last weekend for $50 to use as a desk. The expanded size is approx 1400 by 900 mm, and (when looking at the top from underneath) has some thinner (approx 10 mm thick) inlays. So it appears to have 2 different timbers - one for the frame and turned legs etc, and one for the inlays. I know that for $50 it won't contain gopher wood from the Ark, but I haven't finalised the finishing so any ID assistance would be much appreciated.

The timber in the pics has been stripped and sanded to only 180 grit. I've tried to show the comparison between dry and moistened wood, hoping that might help.

Cheers
    Phil
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "Come sit down beside me" I said to myself, and although it didn't make sense,
    I held my own hand as a small sign of trust, and together I sat on the fence.

Mobyturns is offline In An Instant Your Life Can Change Forever

Perhaps meranti / lauan.

maybe pacific maple?

Very similar to Meranti.

Default Thank you, Thank you, thank you

Mobyturns, shedbound and KidBee

Many many thanks for the info. I followed your answers and after a quick google immediately found a matching picture of it here with lots of info. That gives me the confidence to go ahead and do an oil finish LGS outlined a week or two ago.

Very much appreciated
    Phil
    "Come sit down beside me" I said to myself, and although it didn't make sense,
    I held my own hand as a small sign of trust, and together I sat on the fence.