Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default computers eerrrr

ok know putors got nothing to do with woodworking ( apart from letting me access this great site ) but i know some of u blokes have talked about then so am going to ask a ? about mine

Last wk mine died two hard drives in a wk so was not impressed got another this wk and reloaded my xp but now find that the windows are to big for the moniter have tried the display and accessabilty sections no go to the ajustment available there , used to work fine on my old hard drives but now just cant seem to get the screen right , by this i mean when open a window screen to full size the , Xbox , 1/2 the start box etc are off the screen

so if anyone has any ideas at all apart from giving up on the b****y things and going back to write letters or phoneing would be a big help
    thks
    david

Sounds like you need to adjust your monitor. Should be some buttons on the front of it that control the size, shape and location of the picture. You need to find the one that controls the size and make it a bit smaller so that you can see the full screen. Follow your nose and yell out if you get stuck.
    "I don't practice what I preach because I'm not the kind of person I'm preaching to."

Yep....what him say
    The Thief of BadGags

Well probably that is true but you may have to reinstall the drivers for your video card if XP couldn't find them. Go to Start, Control Panel, Display and Setting and see if you can adjust it. If not you will have to install the drivers for your video card.

As they say you may be able to do it with the monitor as long as it isn't too old.

My standard advice to anyone having troubles with their computer is for them to give it a smart tap on the side of the monitor (or a series of pounding blows or even a hail of fists :eek: ) it won't make a scrap of difference to the computer (well, it might make things worse) but it will sure as hell make you feel better .

Mick

Disclaimer: I make no claims as to the effectivenenss of the above in fixing any computer problems, and should you find yourself resorting to above practice several times a day you should:
    a: get a new computer, or
    b: get anger management counselling, or
    c: both a & b
    "If you need a machine today and don't buy it,

tomorrow you will have paid for it and not have it."

- Henry Ford 1938

I would also look under 'device manager' to see if any thing there is not working properly or not installed.

To get there, click 'start', then 'control panel', then 'system', then once there click on ' hardware', then 'device manager'.

Things that are not installed or not working properly will have a red x over them or a yellow ! mark.

Then you can look for drivers of the device that isn't installed or working properly

I hope this helps some,
    Kylie

Quote Originally Posted by journeyman Mick
    My standard advice to anyone having troubles with their computer is for them to give it a smart tap on the side of the monitor (or a series of pounding blows or even a hail of fists :eek: ) it won't make a scrap of difference ......... but it will sure as hell make you feel better .

Mick
    Does that work with apprentices too, Mick? :eek:
    Visit my website
    Website
    Facebook

Hi David

Go to Settings - Control Panel - NVIDIA and play around with the screen resolution settings. Mine did the same when I reinstalled XP after SP2 seriously loused it up!! :mad:

Tikki

Quote Originally Posted by AlexS
    Does that work with apprentices too, Mick? :eek:
    Good one Alex! Actually I'm not of the "old school" when it comes to apprentices or employees/subbies. Can't see the point of yelling at someone if they stuff up, just makes them nervous and more likely to stuff up again. If you're supportive they'll do their best, if they are absolutely no good you let them go (only had to do that once). I've had guys thank me at the end of big and stressful projects and tell me that they'd work for me again - good outcomes all round, that's what I aim for.

Mick who only abuses computers - because they bloody well deserve it!
    Last edited by journeyman Mick; 22nd March 2005 at 10:47 PM. Reason: oops, Alex not Barry, where's my brain tonight??
    "If you need a machine today and don't buy it,

tomorrow you will have paid for it and not have it."

- Henry Ford 1938

You could also have a look in the properies menuand make sure you computer isn't set up to view one monitor over two...
    "Last year I said I'd fix the squeak in the cupbaord door hinge... Right now I have nearly finished remodelling the whole damn kitchen!"

[email protected]

Yep, I agree with the others. Make sure your video drivers have been setup correctly and then get the resolution set the way you want it ... then, once you're happy with that adjust your monitor settings (by using the physical buttons on your monitor) to drag the picture around and make it fill the screen without dropping the edges into the 'ether'.

While you're there you should also do a 'degauss' ... assuming you're using a CRT type monitor and not an LCD. This will get rid of any dark smudges or strange morphed colours and assure your picture is the best it can be.

I look after over 100 computer users every day (call me Mr. HelpDesk) and silly problems like this are all too common. Let me know if you're still having problems OK and we'll try to walk you through a fix ... free of charge of course !

Steve.

It sounds like to me you don't have the right video card drivers installed and XP didn't or couldn't find the right ones so it has loaded a generic set.

Do you have the disk(s) that came with the computer? If so see if there is somewhere on the disk that will install video card drivers.

You could also try Microsofts update page, found in the Tools menu of Internet Explorer. It might ask you to install new update software; you'll need to install it to view the updates. When the updates page loads select custom install. This should take you to a page that will list three catagories of installs. You want the optional hardware updates and see if it lists video card drivers. If it lists video drivers, before you install them go back to the high priority updates and de-select all the critical updates if you don't want them otherwise there is about 18 updates it will install.

Quote Originally Posted by dzcook
    so if anyone has any ideas at all apart from giving up on the b****y things and going back to write letters or phoneing would be a big help
    thks
    david
    This is a plug for me but if all else fails go here and click on Tech Support. It is being updated at the moment but give it a day or two.

http://barrywhite.Juvio.com

The most satisfying thing to do to a computer is to point a 2x12g at it and let go.

Quote Originally Posted by journeyman Mick

Disclaimer: I make no claims as to the effectivenenss of the above in fixing any computer problems, and should you find yourself resorting to above practice several times a day you should:
    a: get a new computer, or
    b: get anger management counselling, or
    c: both a & b
    You forgot option d: get a Mac.
    Whatever note you blow youre never more than a semitone away from the correct one....(Miles Davis)