Thread: Chipboard Dust

Red face Chipboard Dust

Hi,
    I am new to this forum and not too experienced in woodworking.
    Would appreciate some advice on a problem I am having:
    My kitchen cabinets are made from chipboards with a laminated finish. However, time and wear-and-tear have made their toll on it. Some of the corners have swelled up through the penetration of moisture and as a result, I am having constant wood chip dust in my cupboard space and drawers. Can anyone of you recommend some coating that I can apply to the exposed chipboard areas to minimise the dusting? I am trying to save the cabinets for a few more years of use and any suggestions in this area would be much appreciated.
    Regards,
    osiris

PVA glue. A cheap white one would do for this. Just paint it on and jam it in the cracks.
    Rusty

Smile Chipboard Dust

Thanks for the advice.
    Regards,
    osiris

The dust in youir drawers may be comming from the runners. At one time it was common not to use drawer runners at all in some kitchens as a result after time the drawer saw into the carcase with resulting dust.
    Check it out. if the top drawer has no dust problem this is probably the case.
    Also it was and sometimes still is common to build kitchens from non moisture resistant chip. After a few years this gets a bit flakey on the surface.
    You will need to scrub of any loose stuff before applying any varnish like product (I assume this is unseen surfaces).
    PVA for this use I recon will be far more fiddle & much less effect.
    cheers

Cool

First post so if it comes out wrong, or in the wrong place, or upside down, or in the wrong season , be abusive. Hell be abusive anyway im a pommie bastd. Better than that, be abusive otherwise i'll be offended. It'l be fun though.

if the area that is dusting is not on show use spray glue (the stuff that smells like evo stick) it keeps out the water and holds the dusting down.