Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Glasses

Default Glasses

As I'm nearing the magic half century I've found that my eyesight, over the last six months, is starting to decline. I have trouble reading and need to focus intently to make out the words. Of late, I've found myself squinting when on the lathe. I have no problems what-so-ever with distance. I made an appointment with the optometrist today and scored some specs. WOW, these things are magic, I feel young again! Especially at the lathe, I can now work on detailed bits and pieces.

Do you guys wear anything over your glasses? Or do you just wear the glasses alone? I know it's a bit of a silly question but not having worn these things I'd like to know what the general consensus is.
    -Scott

You can get safety glasses made to a script. But I tend to wear a face shield when turning anyway and on the table saw, etc, I use a pair of safety glasses that fit over my seein' specs. Get them from most of the safety/ tool shops.

Cheers
    There ain't no devil, it's just god when he's drunk!!

Tom Waits

Scott, I always wear a standard face shield when turning and when using a grinder or angle iron.

If your glasses are made of plastic it's not essential when using a grinder but the minute sparks will burn pits in the glass of your glasses. DAMHIK.

Peter.

Glasses and full face shield for anything that cuts, drills and grinds. Add ear muffs for noise.

Cheers, thanks for your input. Might look into prescription safety glasses but in the meantime, I'll use a shield over the glasses.
    -Scott

Woodwork ok but need to watch metal grinding as hot sparks can damage the lens.

Default Both

I work in a mine and I do both. Safety glasses over my normal glasses when I'm underground and my prescription safety glasses in the open cut and mill areas.

Default The Glasses.

Hi Scott,
    I have now been wearing Multifocal Plastic Glasses for many years.
    Have never used a Face Shield as I couldn't stand them, but on Occasions I wear a Yellow Plastic Safety Coverall Glasses.
    The Colour is really good for Turning as the Wood Virtually comes out at you.
    When you take these Glasses off, you get to think someone turned the lights out.
    I didn't but the real expensive ones, & I think the last set cost $ 7.00.
    They look a bit cumbersome but do the job really well. The ones I'm referring to are a bit " Old hat " but do the job.
    Regards,
    issatree.
    Have Lathe, Wood Travel.

I have the same problem, the optometrist said I don't need prescription glasses yet, he said to use the magnifying reading glasses so looking around I came across these.

I get these from Rockler,

FastCap Bifocal Safety Glasses - Rockler Woodworking Tools

If I am working out side I use these,

Tinted Diopter 2.0 Safety Glasses - Rockler Woodworking Tools

Ratty 05/2004 -05/07/2010 COOPER 01/08/1998-31/01/2012

Eye safety for me is an absolute must. I think I'd likely die of a broken heart if I ever lost my sight. I wear "progressive" bifocal glasses, I can actually see what I'm eating and watch TV at the same time! I put safety goggles over my glasses for almost all power tool work, especially with the drill press and any metal work.
    I'm considering a full face shield for table saw work = 72 tooth x 10" table saw blade. One t/c tooth broke off and hit me in the forehead. Nice scab. Now, if that thing had hit me in an eye. . . . . .

Wayne Davey sells the bi-focal safety glasses for about $16, I havent got any yet, but will soon.

I just need magnifiers to read & do close work too, I found that the safety glasses with a magnifier built into the bottom of them work fine.
    Cliff.
    If you find a post of mine that is missing a pic that you'd like to see, let me know & I'll see if I can find a copy.

Thank you for the great advice gents, especially wm460 for those links. Sounds like a purchase is coming on. Will look up Wayne Davey as well. Thanks again!
    -Scott

Default Fatscap Bifocal Safety glasses

Quote Originally Posted by Ironwood View Post
    Wayne Davey sells the bi-focal safety glasses for about $16, I havent got any yet, but will soon.
    Not sure about Wayne but I have them in stock: 1.5, 2.0, 2.5, 3.0 all at $12 +post

Take care and Stay Sharp,
    Jim Davey
    www.jimdavey-planes-sharpening.com
    Take care and Stay Sharp,
    Jim Davey

Thought I was having a bit of trouble locating you Jim. Funnily enough there is a Wayne Davy on the forums who has a website:

Wayne's Woodwork

Was about to email him asking about safety glasses!

Anyway, I've placed an order on your website, Jim, and have paid using Paypal. Thanks for responding to this thread.

Cheers!
    -Scott