Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Composite Decking

Gday all

I am looking at attaching a deck to the back of our place and am interested in getting some different opinions/ suggestions.

I have noticed a product called MODWOOD, made from waste timber and recycled plastics,that appears to be pretty good.
    The manfacturers claim that it is virtually maintenance free.
    Has anyone seen this stuff laid and are there any things to watch out for?

How would it compare with natural timber?

Thanks
    Steve
    if you always do as you have always done, you will always get what you have always got

Quote Originally Posted by maglite
    How would it compare with natural timber?
    It can't be compared.

Treat it as a different material, the only similarity is in the dimension of the section.

As a material it's probably OK (if you like that sort of thing), but you'll never convince anyone it's timber.

Cheers,

P

Gday Midge

I fully appreciate that it wont feel, look or taste like real timber.
    Of more concern to me are any maintenance issues of which i should be aware if i was to use reeded jarrah: finish, splinters, weathering, rot etc. rather than whether i can live with a deck made from artificial timber.

Obviously, the artificial variety is claimed to be virtually maintenace free and i was interested to see wether anyone on the forum has used or seen it and wether it is all that it is cracked up to be.

Cheers
    Steve
    if you always do as you have always done, you will always get what you have always got

Quote Originally Posted by maglite
    i was interested to see wether anyone on the forum has used or seen it .
    Probably not.
    After all this is a woodwork forum

Steve,
    I've only seen the stuff used on those home wrecking, sorry, renovation shows, which is no recomendation at all. It may prove to be an excellent alternative to timber, but I don't believe it's been around long enough to be proven in service. Show me a deck in it that's survived 10 years in the tropics and I might consider it.

Mick
    "If you need a machine today and don't buy it,

tomorrow you will have paid for it and not have it."

- Henry Ford 1938

Hi Steve,

I would definately go and have a look at the product at a display. I was looking at this product for a low clearance deck, and taking one look at the stuff made me decide it was not what I was after.

It sounds good in theory - but to me, the stuff looks like and feels like plastic. It even marked like plastic at the display in Joondalup/Perth W.A ( they had some aluminium round tube chairs on the deck with no feet, left imprints )

Cheers

Paul

Many thanks to those who replied with some helpful advice.
    We have decided to go with reeded jarrah.

Does anyone have any ideas/ opinions on a suitable finish that will hold up in a coastal enviroment?

Cheers
    Steve

I was at a function recently at a pub and they had a deck. After looking at the deck from some time I realised the decking timbers were made of some sort of plastic. However I am sure almost all of the patrons thought they were standing on wood. It was well laid, very straight and flat and looked good. Something I would certainly try. Not sure if it was modwood or something else, but it actually looked surprisingliy good for what it's worth. Steve.

Steve,

The US has had composite decking for years. One brand that comes to mind is Trex (http://www.trex.com).

It seems to weather well and is relatively maintenance free. It also uses what would have otherwise have been timber and plastic waste. Trex does have a reputation for being a bit toasty on bare feet which here in Aus might not be an endearing attribute! Still, I have a deck to re-do and I am strongly considering using a similar material. I would be interested to hear what brands you looked at.

Gday Mark,
    Many thanks for your post and web link.
    In response to your question i found out about the product in a local newspaper insert and then i did a fair bit of Googling until i found a local supplier.
    The web site was great and the product appears to be very similar to modwood.
    Same product....different name.

I have yet to veiw the product in the flesh so to speak but from most accounts it does perform very well and it is very price competive with reeded jarrah...around a $6.00 per sqm.
    To be honest i didnt even think about the "Toasty" issue but i would think that would be mostly irrelevant if it is covered by a patio, not unlike timber in certain places.
    Whether it is the most ideal product for this side of the country remains to be seen so i think i lean toward the tried and tested product.
    Having lived in Sydney where the weather can be a lot milder it may be just the product for you ....taking into account the apparent high cost of hardwoods over your way.

Cheers
    Steve

Thanks for the product name. I now have a lead to pursue on this.

There is one other advantage to this: Splinters, or the lack thereof. This is very appealing!

Post Modwood Deck

Hi,

Mister Ply & Wood does not supply Modwood decking anymore because customers complained of snapping. I suppose some people probably didn't pre-drill before nailing.

Cheers,

Karen

Hi Mark,

Is there a Trex supplier in Sydney?

Thanks.

Karen

To the best of my knowledge there is no Australian supplier of Trex unfortunately. Oh well.

Default composite decking

i am going to import the wood plastic composite to perth, i would like to ask for opinion which product would be best supply to Perth customer needs?
    fencing? decking?