Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default Unix gurus wanted

Back in the Middle Ages I used to use the Unix program called 'awk'; I have found that there is a version that runs on Windows, which I have downloaded from Brian Kernighan's site. But how can I actually run the program? Does Windows have a command-line mode?

Rocker

Start > Run. In the box that pops up type command (for Win98) and cmd (for XP)

Run your 'DOS' session from there.
    Gordon

Rocker,

Another approach would be to install cygwin on your windows boxes.

I am an R&D software developer and have used Unix and almost all it's decendants since 1979. I now use Solaris and Linux for most of my work, but sometimes I am required to use windows systems. Since I know very little about windows, I download cygwin which, most importantly, provides a Unix style shell (command interpreter - ie prompt) and about 95% of all current Linux/Unix/GNU software - including awk (or gawk which is the gnu variant).

Grab it from www.cygwin.com (a sub-division of Red Hat).

Regards
    Burn
    Burn
    When all points of view have equal time The chatter of idiots will drown out the wise

Burn,

Thanks very much. That sounds like just what I want. I will give it a go, but, much as I love 'vi', I don't think I will give up using Word

Rocker

Hmm; looks as though Cygwin might cost a few $. I don't really need it badly enough to pay good money for it.

Rocker
    Last edited by Rocker; 19th December 2004 at 03:22 PM.

Rocker,

cygwin costs nothing (just the download!). Click the icon that says install cygwin now.

I've been using cygwin (or it's equivalent) for ages for nothing.

As to swapping vi for word ... hey use both.

I have just arrived back from Japan where I was giving presentations using Openoffice Presentation (ie Powerpoint) off my XP Pro laptop and I also used cygwin for my demo's.

Regards
    Burn
    Burn
    When all points of view have equal time The chatter of idiots will drown out the wise

Burn,

I downloaded cygwin, but it doesn't include 'vi'

Rocker

Cygwin, (and most, if not all Linux distributions) substitute vi with vim. In the case of cygwin, select vim when downloading, and you'll get /bin/vim, and a symlink /bin/vi which points to /bin/vim. From a compatibility point of view, vim is an improved version of vi.

I use vi/vim under cygwin on a daily basis.

steve

Steve,

I have sent you a PM.

Rocker

South Oz, the big smokey bit in the middle

Quote Originally Posted by sjm
    Cygwin, (and most, if not all Linux distributions) substitute vi with vim. In the case of cygwin, select vim when downloading, and you'll get /bin/vim, and a symlink /bin/vi which points to /bin/vim. From a compatibility point of view, vim is an improved version of vi.

I use vi/vim under cygwin on a daily basis.

steve
    Is it my imagination or is this thread degenerating into a battle of acronyms? :eek:

The first person to give a pancake recipe in acronym gibberish wins a plastic raincoat computer ... provided the pack of fox terriers can produce solid stools from the results of the recipe.

Richard
    any relationship between me and coherency can be medicated

Rocker,

Was Steve able to point you in the right direction -- on the installation program under the editors section, about 11th down you can find the VIsual editor (improved version as Steve points out) .... I remember the first visual editor available on Unix .... wait for it .... wait for it .... here it comes .... acroynm alert .... warning warning .... plastic raincoats at the ready .....

DED (display editor)

Burn
    Burn

"The first person to give a pancake recipe in acronym gibberish wins a plastic raincoat computer ... provided the pack of fox terriers can produce solid stools from the results of the recipe."

Footstools, Piano Stools, Bar Stools , Stool Pidgeons or what??? :eek: :eek:
    Regards, Bob Thomas

www.wombatsawmill.com

Unix gurus wanted
    Rocker, Firstly, I hate to be a spelling nazi but it is spelled eunuchs. Secondly, why do you want an expert one?
    Photo Gallery

Burn,

He was.

Grunt,

I have to admit that doing all your word processing using 'vi' and 'troff' can be a bit taxing on the masculinity.

Rocker