Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default Auto Tray Restoration

Hi everyone,

I am new to the forum and new to restoration. I have recently acquired a side table from the family (they called it an Auto Trady). It was my Great Grandparents and the maker is listed as T. Harris and Son. Melbourne. I am not sure of the era, but anywhere between 1870 and 1920 (sorry I am not an expert)

It is quite worn, but I quite like that. My grandfather used to put all of his stuff on it, when he had it, including an ash tray. Over the years the ash on one side formed a kind of glue in parts. When another family member had it, they tried to remove this by sanding the part where the ash was and subsequently took some of the coating off (I am not sure if it is varnish but I think it is). So now the varnish has been removed a little but there is still some waxy ash type substance there (but not much, just one spot).
    I really do no want to strip the whole piece, I like the original look of it but would like to bring it to life a little and to fix the section which has been damaged by the sanding. Any help or comments really welcome. See the pictures.

Last edited by rdc; 8th May 2011 at 11:13 PM. Reason: Photos did not upload.

Default Photos

Sorry everyone, see the following link for photos
    https://www.woodworkforums.com/member...bums/autotray/

Nice piece! If you add raw linseed oil to mineral turps, just enough to turn it pale yellow, you can then hand sand lightly with this using 400 grit wet and dry sandpaper. This will remove all the dirt and flatten the finish on the top. The issue then is your left with a very dull finish that needs to be re finished. This is trickier to do. If you can remove the rails you can apply french polish with a rubber. see if you can find someone to show you this or do lots of practice first, youtube will probably show a demo.