Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Quick & easy remote ply ripping?

Hi all,

I have a need to buy sheets of ply regularly, usually 6mm-8mm, which I rip into narrow strips (200mm - 300mm wide). I only have a Hyundai i30 so probably 600 x 1200 sheets would be the max I can fit in the boot.

The suppliers used to rip them for me once upon a time, but no more. I guess time is money for everyone these days. So, I need to be able to go to the suppliers to get the sheets, and then quick rip them on the spot to fit in the car.

I've seen a few old threads on cordless circular saws, so was wondering if that's the best option. I'd rather not spend hundreds of dollars, but using a handsaw is probably not something I'd like to do long-term.

Does anyone have any suggestions on other options beside a portable circular saw, and if not, which model is the most economical to meet my situation? I saw a small makita 10.2v, but not sure whether it'd be up to the job or not.

Thanks. Russell.
    Pen Affair Craft Supplies - Cheapest Pearl Ex & Pemo Polymer Clay in Australia
    http://craftsupplies.penaffair.com

Mr Plywood still does a cut to size service - 3 QLD locations.

Quote Originally Posted by RossM View Post
    Mr Plywood still does a cut to size service - 3 QLD locations.
    I haven't checked Mr Ply prices lately, but about 5 years ago, they were significantly more expensive than the large plywood suppliers. I have been getting my Plywood from Sharp in Wacol, but there are a couple others in that area that are similar prices. I stopped buying when there was a Hoop ply shortage, about 18 months ago, so I need to review all current prices before I start buying again I guess.

I bought a small portable generator for backup power to my electric concrete mixer. The last thing I want in the event of a power outage is a mixer full of wet concrete. It weighs less than 50 pounds (~100 kg), and also provides power to my electric chain saw in the field. For protection in transit, I'd place it in a large plastic rectangular tub.

If you already have a conventional circular saw, and collapsible saw horses, food for thought.

Another possibility, which may be scarce in Oz, would be a power converter to tap into your car's system to provide 240v AC; with the engine running, of course.

Both options could have other uses. Exercise your imagination.

Cheers,
    Joe
    Of course truth is stranger than fiction.
    Fiction has to make sense. - Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by joe greiner View Post
    I bought a small portable generator for backup power to my electric concrete mixer. The last thing I want in the event of a power outage is a mixer full of wet concrete. It weighs less than 50 pounds (~100 kg), and also provides power to my electric chain saw in the field. For protection in transit, I'd place it in a large plastic rectangular tub.
    50 lbs is about 23 kg.

Unfortunately, a generator would take up too much space in the car. An inverter may work, although I thought the draw from PowerBooks might be a bit much for a car circuit?

Thanks for the suggestions.

Russell,

Since you can rip the sheets when you get home, how about a light box trailer to transport them home. Saves all the trouble of trying to rip them on site.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bleeder View Post
    Russell,

Since you can rip the sheets when you get home, how about a light box trailer to transport them home. Saves all the trouble of trying to rip them on site.
    I was going to suggest that idea too... Wouldn't be that expensive, and the trailer is a pretty nifty thing to have around anyway. Also saves your car interior from the wear and tear

Cheers,
    Dave

You'll need a tow bar & if you already have a tow bar, just rent a trailer for half a day.
    Cliff.
    If you find a post of mine that is missing a pic that you'd like to see, let me know & I'll see if I can find a copy.

Would love to have a trailer just for that but

1. Had an 8x5 that I used to use with the X-Trail, but it's too big for the i30
    2. Now have a camper trailer the i30 can tow, but not usable as any other type of trailer
    3. Buying another smaller trailer that the i30 can tow, also means paying another set of outgoing rego
    4. Renting a trailer just for that is problematic, since it's a 100km round trip just to rent a trailer in the first place, and a 270km round trip to get the panels I need, that's a lot of driving for a piece of plywood. If I can get it in the back of my car, I can pick it up when on normal trips to Brisbane, rather than a special trailer trip.

Good suggestions guys, but not really economically viable in my situation unfortunately.

Maybe I need to ring around some more suppliers in Brisbane and see if there are any catering to my needs, without charging twice the price for the wood. ANyone got any recommendations on ply supplies in Brisbane south/west besides Mr Ply, or Sharp?

Roof racks - a possibility?

A lightish frame made of pine attached to the rack would allow you to carry a sheet of ply without too much flex or a sheet of ply sandwiched between 2 frames of say 42 x 19 would also work.

Just a thought.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob38S View Post
    Roof racks - a possibility?

A lightish frame made of pine attached to the rack would allow you to carry a sheet of ply without too much flex or a sheet of ply sandwiched between 2 frames of say 42 x 19 would also work.

Just a thought.
    Might be a possibility, but I think the cost would be more than a portable saw. I'm not sure how well it'd balance on the car either, as it'd be way over the bonnet, and could turn the car into a sail boat

Default Get a portable saw.

I got an earlier (NiCad) version of this makita 18v saw recently and for light use, it's amazing

Half the weight of a small 240v saw, very solidly built too.

Be sure to have a spare battery on hand, they're greedy buggers but I barely use the big one these days.

I've always found Mr Ply pretty good price wise, they will often discount if you ask or seem perturbed by the price!
    I for one enjoy their precision cuts, always dead on, sub-mm accuracy, square.... I don't know how good you are with a circ, but my on-the-spot circ cuts would render the ply into firewood I fear! I'm not sure how keen some places would be with you setting up horses/guides etc and then dumping sawdust everywhere in any case.....

I'd be looking at a more accommodating supplier.

Quote Originally Posted by Astrodog View Post
    I've always found Mr Ply pretty good price wise, they will often discount if you ask or seem perturbed by the price!
    I for one enjoy their precision cuts, always dead on, sub-mm accuracy, square.... I don't know how good you are with a circ, but my on-the-spot circ cuts would render the ply into firewood I fear! I'm not sure how keen some places would be with you setting up horses/guides etc and then dumping sawdust everywhere in any case.....

I'd be looking at a more accommodating supplier.
    Hmm yeah, you might be right. And if I prorate the cost of a saw over any price difference, it might be worth it even if it was a bit more.

I'll review suppliers again.