Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default How to load a rubber sanding block

Hi all,

I got a rubber sanding block from an automotive shop a few months ago and I'm still struggling to get my head around using it. The block is pretty common - it uses spikes at each end to grip the paper. Because of the length and angle of the spikes I'm finding it hard to get the sandpaper in nice and tight. The spikes always puncture the paper at the point where it's too long to grip the paper tightly. Is this just the reality with rubber blocks or am I doing something wrong?

They are just a total PITA. I have a couple gathering dust somewhere for years (or is it decades).
    A piece of solid cork or corkfaced wooden block is the go.
    Brian

in addition they are paper wasteful with the additional lenght that has to go under the flaps that can never be used.

Crikey, there must be some reason these are so popular? Personally I've had it with wooden/cork blocks, I waste even more paper with those and the edges always seem to dig into the work, at least with wood ones. How about Durablocks? Anyone use those? I'm just looking for something that loads fast and sands flatly.

Default Sand Paper Blocks.

Hi Kaisergrendal,
    If you can find a glass place handy, & the boxes that the Glass comes in, they have this rubber/ plastic pieces, approx. 110 x 75mm.
    I glue a few together, put a bit of weight on them, & when dry, cut to size on the B/saw.
    Wrap the Sandpaper around, overlap & glue together on the Side with a couple of drops of Super Glue. When they have been used, just slip it off, or if you make enough, have 1 for each grit, but write the Grit Size on 1 end. Works for Me.
    Regards,
    issatree.
    Have Lathe, Wood Travel.