Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Thread: hello

Default hello

My name is Tracey and we have just purchased ourselves a 2 acre block and have bought an old Queenslander house to renovate on the block......once it is removed to the block.

I am looking for advise on preparation of tongue and groove walls/ceilings before painting???

Later I just might be looking for info on tiling too

We live in Calliope but will be moving to Nagoorin hopefully in a few weeks. My husband is an electrician.......so he will be doing ALL our electrical and I will do the painting........but I am starting to realise this might be a HUGE job lol.........I can paint but the prep work on this one might be more than I realised at first.......but I will just plod through.

Just thought I would look around and get some ideas happening before the big move.

Welcome to the forum.

I am going to disagree with you a little as I do not think painting is hard I love painting. Can be a little tedious but that gets better when you get one part done and move to the next section.

Not able to supply advise on the prep work for the tongue and groove but would expect it to be slimier to any painting prep work. Seal any gaps / holes and start with undercoat if needed and finish off with the final coat.

Might be best to also post in the sister site

Renovate Forums

Link also on the main page.

Quote Originally Posted by Christos View Post
    Welcome to the forum.

I am going to disagree with you a little as I do not think painting is hard I love painting. Can be a little tedious but that gets better when you get one part done and move to the next section.

Renovate Forums

Link also on the main page.
    LOL I "can" paint.....I have painted the inside of our house 2 times over 9 years and the outside once and I have painted 3 other houses also. I am not professional.....but have worked in a paint store for 3 years also (now I am a "domestic goddess" working at home lol)

I just meant this house....the Queenslander is 99% tongue and groove walls and ceilings....high walls at that too and a friend of mine has said she no more gapped between every board and nailed every board also........so I am figuring the Queenslander is going to take me a lot longer to prep than these others ones I have painted.

Quote Originally Posted by TraceyB View Post
    LOL I "can" paint.....I have painted the inside of our house 2 times over 9 years and the outside once and I have painted 3 other houses also. I am not professional.....but have worked in a paint store for 3 years also (now I am a "domestic goddess" working at home lol)

I just meant this house....the Queenslander is 99% tongue and groove walls and ceilings....high walls at that too and a friend of mine has said she no more gapped between every board and nailed every board also........so I am figuring the Queenslander is going to take me a lot longer to prep than these others ones I have painted.
    Definitely seal the lining boards on the ceiling. It will take a bit of effort but short term pain for long term gain. Its not much fun with the fine dust coming down through the ceiling - dust, bat poo and whatever else is up there. Don't know about the walls and any movement you might have with time from the stumps - I've never tried doing the lining boards on the walls. Good luck - tongue and groove have character

Thumbs up

G'day Tracey and welcome to this wonderful collection of information!!