Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default Any ideas on milling my timber

G'Day all. This is my first poston this forum. I have just cleared a property at Kallangur, QLD. I decided to keep a number of the logs for milling Silky Oaks, Jacaranders, Mango, and Pecan Nut. I'm going to keep some of the timber to have a nice table made however the balance I would like to sell. I have no idea what I'm doingwhat size to cut the timber and what would fetch the best price and then how to go about selling it. I would appreciate any advice anyone could give me. Thankyou, Regards Joe

check out the forum there are a few millers in your area , cheers Bob

Welcome to the forum. I second Bob's advice. Good luck
    Reality is no background music.
    Cheers John

I cannot help with your query but would like to know when you have timber to sell. I am almost local being only at Dayboro

Until you get something organised, seal the log ends with some commercial product or with some exterior house paint. This will aid in minimising end-checking by slowing down moisture loss.

I have an Alaskan Small Log mill suitable for logs up to 500mm dia and that's hard work. For a larger quantity of logs you'll need to find and pay someone with a Lucas Mill or similar. I normally cut my slabs between 50mm to 60mm. You also need to allow 1 year of drying time per inch of slab thickness before the slabs can be considered dry enough to work.

cheers
    Derek (Narangba)

Welcome to the forum.

Joe,
    Something to consider is... DO NOT estimate the cubic metreage of your logs then look on the net to see that Silky Oak is 3000 per m3, then think you have a fortune on your hands.
    That is milled and dried price and most of the value of timber is in this retrieval, milling & storage for drying.

Your raw logs are way way lower in value...than you might think.

Quote Originally Posted by skot View Post
    Joe,
    Something to consider is... DO NOT estimate the cubic metreage of your logs then look on the net to see that Silky Oak is 3000 per m3, then think you have a fortune on your hands.
    That is milled and dried price and most of the value of timber is in this retrieval, milling & storage for drying.

Your raw logs are way way lower in value...than you might think.
    Hey Skot, I'm learning every day and that's what I have been told. I'm goinging to get the timber milled into 50mm slabs. I appreciate your advice. Regards

Joe