Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default Do cabinet makers require a green card?

Do cabinet makers require a green card?

I thought it was only for workers on site instead of in a factory.

I am sure that it's only on a site but the company may have a policy for all empolyees as it is basic Saftey.

Not a big deal to the course look in the paper they run everyday plus Saturdays only cost $100

1. We don't have green cards in Australia
    2. Doesn't matter where you work, or what you do, if you're not a permanent resident, you need a working visa to be able to work (legally)
    3. All your answers are on Department of Immigration & Citizenship
    4. There is a list, called the "Skilled Occupations list", which used to include cabinetmakers, but doesn't anymore.
    4. It may still be possible to get an Employee Sponsored visa for a cabinetmaker

Good luck! It's not an easy process, but all the information is on the website, and you can get there eventually - it took me over 5 years! Not as a cabinetmaker, though - I had to marry an Australian!
    Cheers, Richard

"... work to a standard rather than a deadline ..." Ticky, forum member.

Quote Originally Posted by rhancock View Post
    1. We don't have green cards in Australia
    2. Doesn't matter where you work, or what you do, if you're not a permanent resident, you need a working visa to be able to work (legally)
    3. All your answers are on Department of Immigration & Citizenship
    4. There is a list, called the "Skilled Occupations list", which used to include cabinetmakers, but doesn't anymore.
    4. It may still be possible to get an Employee Sponsored visa for a cabinetmaker

Good luck! It's not an easy process, but all the information is on the website, and you can get there eventually - it took me over 5 years! Not as a cabinetmaker, though - I had to marry an Australian!
    Mate green card is a nick name for construction Saftey induction required by workcover.

The card was green but now is white but still called a green card in the industry.

Oh, you mean a White Card, formerly a Blue Card in Queensland! Sorry, my bad. In that case, isn't the rule that you need one on any 'construction site' anywhere? That'd mean a factory doesn't count as Joosh asked. Unless... a cabinet making factory counts as a construction site.

We did ours at uni for $50 including a free hard hat!
    Cheers, Richard

"... work to a standard rather than a deadline ..." Ticky, forum member.

Some cabinet makers/shopfitters etc have their staff work through a project from start to finish, i.e in addition to making product in the factory they also install it on site. Therefore they need the staff to have the ticket to work this way. It also gives them a degree of scheduling flexibility to know that they can send staff of the floor to a site if needed, even if it's only to deliver a component that was damaged, wrong size, or missing in the original shipment.