Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Bouquet for Veritas's service

The 2nd hand shoulder plane I bought here in the Marketplace had 2 of the 4 set screws missing. Nothing in my collection would fit and the originals anyway have a stub to bear against the blade.

I emailed Veritas asking if I could buy replacements and they replied saying they would send them free, under 'warranty'.
    Cheers, Ern

Customer services goes a long way, especially given you weren't the original owner.
    I make things, I just take a long time.

www.brandhouse.net.au

Awesome stuff from Lee Valley/Veritas. This is another reason why I'll look at their product range first to see if something will work for me.

Thats very cool Ern , I am now a devout LV & LN woodworker. I ordered an LV concave spokeshave last night. I know I will have it within the week and if anything does happen to it they will look after it rather than cause me greif like so many other manufacturers.
    Instagram: mark_aylward
    www.solidwoodfurniture.com.au

A good edge takes a little sweat!!

Good to hear about your experience rsser. Last friday I visited their Calgary store - what a bad, bad place, not absolutely everything in their cattledog was on display but almost everything - I'll be visiting several times while I am here.

Oh, kid in a lolly shop .. fabulous.

Actually Claw Hama the round bottomed spokeshave the only V. tool I have that doesn't reach their normal standard of quality design IMO. The handles are just too small. Yes, you can get a kit to make your own, and that's on the 'tuit' list but I'd rather not have to.
    Cheers, Ern

Quote Originally Posted by rsser View Post
    Actually Claw Hama the round bottomed spokeshave the only V. tool I have that doesn't reach their normal standard of quality design IMO. The handles are just too small. Yes, you can get a kit to make your own, and that's on the 'tuit' list but I'd rather not have to.
    Ern - I'm not overly fussed with the handles on V. planes, either! I think you've said somewhere you were blessed with the large, economy-sized paw (less a bit of recent trimming! ) so you probably get off on those great ugly totes that I find so awkward. They were all replaced pronto, on the couple of Veritas planes I have. OTOH, the handles on my two spokeshaves (I have both the round & the flat) are ok for size, but I don't like the symmetrical round shapes. Having been raised on the flattened handles of the Stanley type shaves, it feels like there's nothing to tell me where the shave is going, especially on the round-bottomed one. UKAlf seems to have the same issues with the wooden bits of Veritas planes & shaves, and made a pair of nice carved handles for hers - that's on my 'tuit' list, too!

The good news is, both shaves work so much more nicely than the old 151, so once you get the bits to hang onto sorted out, I reckon you'll be pleased enough with it. Handles must be a headache for any tool manufacturer - we come with such a range of paw sizes. It's no wonder there is a very long & honorable tradition of customising & re-making tool handles....

PS - here's a ling to what Alf did to a Veritas spokeshave. My effort won't be quite as fancy!

http://www.cornishworkshop.co.uk/shavehandle.html
    Last edited by IanW; 7th July 2010 at 01:34 PM. Reason: add link
    IW

Hmm, all duely noted and will customise as required, minor problem

Yes Ian, of course it's too much to expect one size will work for everyone. But even discounting my paw size the handle width seems a bit cheese-paring. And yes, an oval shape would be best for max control.

Claw Hama, here's Alf's rundown on the use of the V. shave handle bolt & turning kit: click.
    Cheers, Ern

Hi -

Just a quick comment.... I think one of the most underated/overlooked tools we have is our large spokeshave...

"Large" doesn't mean imprecise. Nor does it necessarily mean it's for larger/coarser work... it's just.... well ..... larger! I find it much easier to control (even for fine work) than the smaller shaves - arm movements are much more natural.

No need to turn replacement handles either - just shape 'em with a shave, and replace...

If you prefer them to be assymetric (arched, swept etc.) - just mount a handle stud into the body, and epoxy the exposed screw onto your handle, fixing the correct orientation.

We encourage people to make/modify handles....!

Cheers -

Rob

Hi Rob, can't wait to get mine, I will use it for a while before I start customising.

Quite right Rob. I didn't come across the large shave til I'd discovered how small the std handles were (OK, small for me). A problem of buying mail order.
    Cheers, Ern

Ern sounds like you have hands like my old man, to shake hands with him is like getting your hand caught in a vise. The size of a diner plate.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Lee View Post
    If you prefer them to be assymetric (arched, swept etc.) - just mount a handle stud into the body, and epoxy the exposed screw onto your handle, fixing the correct orientation....
    It's spooky the way this man 'hears' his name whenever it's mentioned!

Yairs, I have the hardware ready - just getting that round tuit bit is the problem, Rob. Over the years I've had them, I've gotten used to the round handles, & find controlling the tool with my thumbs (as is suggested in one of your blurbs) is just as easy, or dare I admit, even better than controlling it by the handles alone. I like the size of the smaller shaves a lot - they suit the size of my hands, and because I tend to use my old 151s for rough work and these for the finer bits, I don't need a lot of tool mass, which would be one of the pluses of the larger one, I suspect. (I can give you a plug here, too, and say that my old Stanleys have been vastly improved by the substitution of a thicker Veritas blade - a world of difference for a very reasonable outlay! ). But I will customise my shave handles, someday soon.

Quote Originally Posted by rsser View Post
    ....... I didn't come across the large shave til I'd discovered how small the std handles were (OK, small for me). A problem of buying mail order.
    Ern - this is why you have to get to a woodshow at least once in a while.....

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Lee View Post
    We encourage people to make/modify handles....!
    Just as well, 'cos we are going to, anyway..!

Avagooday,
    IW

Quote Originally Posted by Claw Hama View Post
    Ern sounds like you have hands like my old man, to shake hands with him is like getting your hand caught in a vise. The size of a diner plate.
    Maybe that's why he tried trimming one a bit??
    IW