Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default How to fill join gaps in veneer

Hello, this is my first post here, so hello ,and thanks in advance, to everybody!!
    I've recently made some audio speaker cabinets out of MDF, and am currently veneering them with silky oak veneer.

I've used a leaf matching technique (I think that's what its called - like the leaves of a book?) on the sides and top. The join is mostly good, but in some parts there are some fine gaps along the join.

What is the best way of filling those gaps? Is there some way of filling them as I sand it back for finishing? That way it's using the actual wood to fill and colour-match the gap?

Also once the gaps are fillied I'm planning to use Feast Watson's sanding sealer and Scandanavian Oil to finish off the veneer. Is this a good choice for a nice natural look?
    Thanks.
    Last edited by hall_simon; 1st July 2010 at 12:57 PM. Reason: Changed danish oil to scandanavian oil...

Sorry but I don't know how to fill the gaps between veneer sheets without it looking like wood filler.

normal practice when veneering is to get the edges to match and then tape them together (but only on the show face of the veneer) before gluing the sheet onto the substrate
    hope this helps with the rest of the project.
    regards from Alberta, Canada

ian

You should get some gumm tape, (i ll get to this later ) and a very sharp knife and with a straight edge re trim the joining edges now with you gum tape moisten the tape and lay on one side of your veneer now with the other side align the join and grain up and lay the join now when the tape dries it will shrink and pull the join snug now you can lay on your substrate.
    regard chowcini