Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default Plywood Workbench - Best way to finish?

Hi all,
    this is my first woodworking project nearing completion. A pre-cut flat-pack plywood workbench. As a novice, I was wondering if anybody could advise on the best way to get a nice glossy durable finish? If indeed it is possible....... (Please note I haven't finished aligning doors/drawers...)

Cheers,
    Steve.

Traditional wisdom is that working benches get a simple finish. There are a a couple of reasons for this.
    1. A gloss finish can be too slick and slippery, so it is harder to get work to stay put.
    2. Despite your best efforts, the finish will get marred by glue, tools and work. A simple finish is easily repaired or replaced as needed.
    For this reason, an oil finish is a good starting point. However it needs to be reapplied on a regular basis to maintain its effectiveness over time, Alternatively, a few coats of shellac is more durable, but still easy to refinish if and when needed, needing just a light sand and recoat.

High durability finishes like polyurethane etc can look good but will be a nightmare to refinish once they get the slightest scratch or mark on them.

Thanks malb,
    I have been scanning previous threads on finishing ply and have seen the mention of "fills". Is it worth using something like this noting the ply is so soft and porous? I should have mentioned that I intend to put a protective sheet of thin ply or rubber on the work surface (building model steam locomotives) What I really want to bring up nice is the doors and drawers. What is is the finest grade of sandpaper I should use? It is the non-work surfaces I would like to get looking schmick... I must say having spent so long working with metals it is a really nice change working with timber, especially the beaut smell......

Masonite is a good hardwearing top sheet for a workbench, and can be cheaply replaced, and it will contrast with the ply nicely
    regards,

Dengy

Finished the bench for the time being tonight, used 80, 120 and 400 grade sandpaper and then rubbed in some danish oil with a cloth. I am chuffed with the result for a first project. I like the Masonite idea Jill and will pick some up for a protective surface.

Quote Originally Posted by DustInOz View Post
    Finished the bench for the time being tonight, used 80, 120 and 400 grade sandpaper and then rubbed in some danish oil with a cloth. I am chuffed with the result for a first project. I like the Masonite idea Jill and will pick some up for a protective surface.
    Looks great!

The most hardworking component of any bench is the edge of the bench top. If your top is easily removable and you have ready access to some hardwood I would consider edging the top with some hardwood.

man id love to see one of the locos your talking about..