Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default Mitre gauge movement.

I have an MJ2325CT table saw that has quite a degree of sideways movement in the mitre gauge whilst moving along the table slot. I realise that this is a common problem with alot of cheaper saws.

I have gotten hold of some spring plungers (see pic) that i was going to use. This would involve drilling and tapping several holes (probably 4) in the side of the bar then fitting these with the ball adjusted to minimise any movement. I know this is a lot of work but if it lessens frustration then it might be worth it.

If there is any other ideas out there that would would be easier, i'm open to any seggestions. I've tried tapping the sides with a punch but it doesn't seem to last very long before the dimples flatten out. I want to update to an Incra Mitre1000SE in the future but until then want to make the most of what i have.

Thanks,

Steven.

I suggest that you use what you already have, although the ball plungers are not necessarily the best solution. If you push left or right you may cause the ball to depress and skew the gauge. You might also get wood dust in between the ball and its support wall, making for inaccuracies. Plain grub screws would be better, use some Locktite to stop it moving. Another suggestion might be to weld some dimples on and file them down to a snug fit. Otherwise, heat and an anvil plus a large persuader.

Assuming the slot is constant width, better to weld only TWO dimples on the bar, so as to eliminate multiple "voting" by the dimples. And in lieu of real welding, consider two dabs of epoxy such as JB Weld. Easier to file, although subject to wear.

Cheers,
    Joe
    Of course truth is stranger than fiction.
    Fiction has to make sense. - Mark Twain

There are a number adjustable sliding bars available - 2 that come to mind are a Kreg one which does similar to your idea of spring plungers but as Groggy says using grub type screws. The other I saw [very long time ago] was a bar which had disks on the bottom which were somehow on a cam which allowed any slack to be taken up.

Both, from memory, were not cheap so, perhaps go with the above suggested postings and save your pennies for the Incra.

Regards,
    Bob

For a short term fix, I would be inclined to try your approach but substitute nylon screws for the ball plungers. Low friction material, reasonably wear proof, and they won't plunge and reintroduce inacuraccy.

Incra uses a ali channel with tapered walls and slots lengthways along the bar. The screws accessible from the top draw cones into the tapered cavity, spreading the bar courtesy of the slots.The bar can be sat in the mitre slot and trimmed from above for an accurate fit.

I believe the Kreg is crossdrilled and uses nylon screws, but can't be adjusted in slot.

Both are available as individual items and could probably be retrofitted to your existing guage.

Quote Originally Posted by Groggy View Post
    I suggest that you use what you already have, although the ball plungers are not necessarily the best solution. If you push left or right you may cause the ball to depress and skew the gauge. You might also get wood dust in between the ball and its support wall, making for inaccuracies.
    My idea was to fit the spring plungers on the left side only. Drill and tap right through the bar then use grub screws from the right side into the rear of the plungers as a locking device. I would have to take into consideration the plungers whilst using the gauge to only apply pressure away from the them to avoid skewing. Although they require considerable pressure to compress the ball into the fitting.

Quote Originally Posted by malb View Post
    For a short term fix, I would be inclined to try your approach but substitute nylon screws for the ball plungers. Low friction material, reasonably wear proof, and they won't plunge and reintroduce inacuraccy.
    I was concerned about wear on the ball bearings during use as the slots dont have a good surface finish. Spring plungers with nylon inserts instead of stainless bearings are available and may try them if the steel ones dont work. But i do like the idea of nylon screws.

I have taken on board all your suggestions but will give the spring plungers a go. If they are unsuccessful i will try the nylon screws (the bar will be tapped already anyway). If all else fails i will just have to bite the bullet and invest in the Incra a bit earlier.

Thanks all.

Steven.