Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Thread: Cordless phones

Question Cordless phones

We currently have a 3 unit Uniden WDECT cordless setup.

Main unit, with answering in study, 1 in the bedroom and 1 in the shed.

2 of the handpieces have now developed a fault of disconnecting themselves randomly, the 1 in the shed only works if you step outside this has always been the case and I have put up with it as it was regarded as "as good as it gets" at the time - so I'm now looking for a replacement set of 3 which hopefully will have better range etc.

My question is which?

I really need 1 which will work in the shed without walking outside when I hear the phone ring in the house - speaker on the handset is a must for me as is intercom capability, answer machine is nice but not essential, Any suggestions?

Does the GHz 1.8 to 5.8 make a difference?
    Brand preferences not an issue as I'm open to all suggestions.

Regards and thanks,
    Bob

Default Phones.

Hi Bob38S,
    We have a 2 phone Panasonic System. I don't think it will matter which one you get, it still will not work in the Shed, I think mainly because of the tin roof. Mine is the same. I have to walk out side to answer mine as well.
    Create a seat, to sit while you are on the phone. I have mine quite close to the Lathe, so now I put it my back pocket. Now I hear it. Don't miss a call. That's it, hope it helps.
    Regards,
    issatree.

Can't use it in the shed? Mine seems OK! And the old one was OK too. Metal roof and all. (It would work to about 200 meters from the house. ) We have those filter thingies on the phone lines. One of them went bung recently and the cordless phone didn't work. All better when it was replaced. I think they have something to do with the modem as well.

We have an OricomPremium SLIM8800-2. Hubby found 'em on teh internet, but bought them from Hardly Normal.
    anne-maria.
    T
    ea Lady

(White with none)
    Follow my little workshop/gallery on facebook. things of clay and wood.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob38S View Post
    We currently have a 3 unit Uniden WDECT cordless setup.

Main unit, with answering in study, 1 in the bedroom and 1 in the shed.

2 of the handpieces have now developed a fault of disconnecting themselves randomly, the 1 in the shed only works if you step outside this has always been the case and I have put up with it as it was regarded as "as good as it gets" at the time - so I'm now looking for a replacement set of 3 which hopefully will have better range etc.

My question is which?

I really need 1 which will work in the shed without walking outside when I hear the phone ring in the house - speaker on the handset is a must for me as is intercom capability, answer machine is nice but not essential, Any suggestions?

Brand preferences not an issue as I'm open to all suggestions.

Regards and thanks,
    Bob
    Bob, before you buy new phones, if you can, try changing the channel selected. There is a chance a neighbour has a new phone or other device which is interfering with your phones. Also, try cleaning the contacts on the phones with an eraser and cloth.

I have Uniden 2.4 Ghz phones that work very well, even in the shed.

Tin sheds? Tea lady has stone walls on hers not tin.

Quote Originally Posted by View Post
    Tin sheds? Tea lady has stone walls on hers not tin.
    Tin on top!
    anne-maria.
    T
    ea Lady

(White with none)
    Follow my little workshop/gallery on facebook. things of clay and wood.

I have a panasonic 3 phone 5.8 ghz setup. one in the shed. Typical shed, all tin, insulated roof and have another layer of tin at the bottom of the purlins. All works fine, brilliant actually. Good loud ring, can here it over the saw, mostly when the thicky is going. Main base station is in the kitchen, shed one is about 20 mtr away and deep in the bowels of the shed. Never had a problem with it.
    Cheers

Thanks for the replies, have tried the above suggestions re cleaning etc with no luck- we do have filters on the lines - as to the faulty 2 disconnecting themselves - in the middle of a conversation the handpiece goes dead with a message on the screen which says "line in use" but this is the only piece being used - nothing can be done except putting back on the station and making a new call [much to Telstra's financial pleasure but not mine].

Shed is approx 30m from the base station but the signal would need to bend slightly around 2 cement tanks to have line of sight - if either unit, shed or base were shifted 2m then it would be line of sight but this is not possible.

Shed unit has never worked in the shed even though it is placed at a window nearest the base - I can hear the phone ring in the house so I pick it up, walk outside, it starts to ring and I answer politely unless you happen to be a spammer - in wet weather [bit of a joke at the moment as things are still pretty dry] I can't hear the house phone because of the rain on the shed roof.

Regards,
    Bob

Uniden might have the name, and the price to go with it, but coincidentally I also have a broken Uniden DECT phone in my bottom drawer. Barely lasted out of the warranty period....

So, a little wiser, I picked up a cheapie dual handset/answering machine DECT set from Aldi ($40 the lot I think). Works fine, loud and clear, and keeps working well out into the paddock. No problems in my all-metal shed either.

Never again will I pay big bucks for a fancy name phone..........

Quote Originally Posted by Bob38S View Post
    Our system has 6 units including the answqering system and it works well but locating the base unit is important. By trial and error we found that if the base unit is in the centre the system works, but if moved to the next room it doesn't. Something to do with the electrical wiring.

Our old 2.4 Ghz worked well but the newer 1.8Ghz works better and the 5.8 is for the majority who only have a base and 1 or 2 extension very close to each other.

Peter.

Default Update

We went with the Panasonic KX-TG4392 5.8 GHz which has 3 handsets.

The one in the shed which is located near a window at least now rings and can be used near the window - much better than the old one which relied on hearing the phone ring in the house and then walking outside with the handset.

So far so good and thanks again for the comments.

Regards,
    Bob