Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default Webber barbeques

I was thinking of replacing my ancient gas barbie with a Webber, with the amount of offcuts, and stuffups I end up with I would have an endless source of fuel . Does anyone know if you can burn solid fuel in a Webber, or are they only suitable using with charcoal?
    To grow old is inevitable.... To grow up is optional

Confidence, the feeling you have before you fully understand the situation.

What could possibly go wrong.

Question

I think they are basically designed to use that special fuel for the best cooking results. No reason why offcut would not work, just a matter of trial and error.

I ditched mine because the ventilaing control mechanism on the bbottom burnt out a couple of times in short order.

I have one and have used solid hickory along with the charcoal for a smoked flavour to the meat. I guess that if you were to use entirely solid timber it would quite significantly alter the flavour.

Peter
    The other day I described to my daughter how to find something in the garage by saying "It's right near my big saw". A few minutes later she came back to ask: "Do you mean the black one, the green one, or the blue one?".

Wood will burn satisfactorilly in a Webber, but you would want to wait until the flames subside and then cook over the embers.

Not many timbers will flavour food when burnt; damp wood chips of certain species (Hickory and Oak) have a better chance of imparting flavour when thrown onto a well established hot fire.
    I know you believe you understand what you think I wrote, but I'm not sure you realize that what you just read is not what I meant.

Regards, Woodwould.

Thanks for the input guys. I wasn't intending to use the wood to impart any flavour, nor was I going to cook over flame. I just thought why buy a gas barbie when I have a ready source of fuel.
    To grow old is inevitable.... To grow up is optional

Confidence, the feeling you have before you fully understand the situation.

What could possibly go wrong.

I like Woodwould's idea of letting it go to embers and then trying. That's usually the best cooking fire anyway. I am tempted to give it a go myself one day. My problem is that I rarely get scrap timber. Even small bits get squirreled away just in case they may be useful at some uncertain time in the future. Either that or my son gets them to hack and hammer with his tool set.

Peter
    The other day I described to my daughter how to find something in the garage by saying "It's right near my big saw". A few minutes later she came back to ask: "Do you mean the black one, the green one, or the blue one?".

I know it is each to their own, but don't do it!!

Had one given to me for a b'day present about 8 years ago, and it went to the tip about 7.5 years ago. Found it was a swine to get going, had to allow a good two to three hours from the time of starting it to when you could cook on it, mind you it would still be going three days later! Perhaps in that time they have changed the design, don't know, but for me. Gas, easy, cheap, no mess, and you can use it on the fire ban days as well.

Ron
    "Rotten to the Core"

Quote Originally Posted by rotten_66 View Post
    I know it is each to their own, but don't do it!!

Had one given to me for a b'day present about 8 years ago, and it went to the tip about 7.5 years ago. Found it was a swine to get going, had to allow a good two to three hours from the time of starting it to when you could cook on it, mind you it would still be going three days later! Perhaps in that time they have changed the design, don't know, but for me. Gas, easy, cheap, no mess, and you can use it on the fire ban days as well.

Ron
    I've had mine for about that long so probably the same model and that hasn't been my experience. It does take about 45 - 50 mins to get going. Takes a while to go out and cool down, but then last year I took mine to a local park for a birthday party. An hour or so after finishing cooking I loaded it in the car - just had to use a bit of water to quench it and cool it and it was fine. I actually reckon that if you are going to need to use some water or something to cool it it's easier than a gas one.

Peter

Go the gas - you'll be finished before the others are ready - more time to enjoy a beer.

I see on the TV that Webber are pushing a new line of cookers called the "Q" - If you do decide to buy one of thes make sure you ask for a "near" one and not a "far" one.

They're designed mainly for Heatbead use GJ. These provide steady heat for quite a time once they're going. With wood you'd want a species that forms good coals. Like some of the acacia I've burned in the wood heater. I imagine softwoods would be hopeless.
    Cheers, Ern

i have a stainless beer keg cut in half, same principal.
    wood works fine.

wrap your spuds and sweet corn in alfoil and put these on while the wood is burning with a flame then when you just have hot coals left bung on your meat

i use bits of wood out of the park and offcuts.
    Cheers Fred

The difference between light and hard is that you can sleep with the light on.
    http://www.redbubble.com/people/fredsmi ... t_creative"

Updated 26 April 2010
    http://sites.google.com/site/pomfred/