After reading www.how2plaster.com I have decided to stop using fibreglass mesh and use paper tape.
I am plastering joins in a new ceiling and have come across a problem. The tape is coming away from the ceiling or bubbling. I have read that it may be because where the join meets where not level to start with (they weren't in some cases). The surface wasnt flat to begin with - maybe a couple of mm out. I think the problem may have also been that the base coat dried and was too thin before I applied the paper tape.
I am using gyrock multi compound brought from hardware stores in plastic tubs premixed. The photos where taken after the 2nd coat was applied.

Attachment 76720

Attachment 76721

Question

Do I remove all the tape and start again but this time build the base up first before applying the tape with base coat?

If I remove the tape can I put base coat over the multi compound?

Do I just remove the tape where this is occuring? or will it occur over time elsewhere (I dont believe I will get any movement as the floor joists are hardwood 450 apart and there is little traffic above?)

Was this a result of the base coat being dry and was too thin before I applied the paper tape?

Regards
Michael

Attached Thumbnails

Read the full thread at RenovateForum.com...