Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default Which sealant for Batu pool decking

Hi all,
    Could someone please pass on some advice about preparing Batu reeded decking to surround a saltwater pool? I am a little confused as to whether to use a water or oil based product or whether to stick with a reputable brand like Cabot/ Sikkens etc?
    I am aware of the need to keep the surface as non slip as possible and am thinking of having the reed facing up if need be.
    Thanks,

Wolvesboy

Hi
    I would use an oil based product. Any of the reputable makes.
    I would also have the reeded face up. Good non skid and when you are laying on the sealer/preservative it stays in the grooves a while and really soaks in. Give it as many coats as you can.

Just as an aside here, as far as the timber mill goes, the reeded face is the best or face side. On thinner boards that that don't quite make the thickness it is always the smooth face that shows the rough patches

Also, (and here we we get other views) hand nail it with proper galv nails. You will have to pre-drill the Batu.

I may be wrong and I am sure someone will tell me if I am, but I don't think that you can get full hot dipped galv nails for a nail gun. I have used galv nails on decks for years, but in your case of salt water pool it is a must. Make sure any steelwork, fixture and bolts are galv also.

Cheers
    Bill.