Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Thread: Hello!

Default Hello!

Hello to one and all. I've just found this forum whilst searching for some info on how to remove sapwood from white box logs..... I like the look of the place and might stay a while!

I am currently watching my father build a reclaimed hardwood dining table for me (to say I'm helping would be a stretch) and have become more and more interested in table design and construction. My Father is a qualified carpenter with about 40 years experience in the building trade, and I've come to the realisation that I should have been learning his craft from him for the last 30.... (I'm a qualified Sound Engineer and own a Health Food Store).

As a teenager I had this ridiculous idea that taking up a trade like carpentry was only for those who didn't have the capacity to go to university and take up a professional career. I just hope my own children are not as ignorant and stubborn as I was...

So here I am at the age of 30 going insane having to work inside everyday, in an industry that while I believe is important, is not my true calling. Time to move on me thinks... Time to put on a manager and get the hell outside.

So my plan is to pursue a bespoke, reclaimed materials furniture fabrication business. Its going to take a while to get the product to commercial grade, but that is going to be half the fun!

The key difference to the business is going to be unique designs (I have 4 table designs sketched out that I believe are new or at least interesting) that have contemporary feel, with rustic and recycled materials. Green, beautiful & fashionable.

Using my Fathers skills as a strong foundation, pursuing attainment of my own skills and development of great designs, hopefully, a satisfying business can be borne for both of us.

I look forward to picking the brains of those more experienced in the detailed work required for quality furniture making!

hang on, is this the introductions thread or the counseling thread...?

Welcome to the forum.

I hope you do well in you new found career. As with everything one step at a time. By the end you are a long way away.

Hang on you already in Orange.

Hi! Actually I think it is the start of serious counseling.
    Where we get the real picture..

Welcome Bledrin, Hope you have great success in your new adventure.
    Reality is no background music.
    Cheers John

Counseling? (twitch twitch) who said I need counseling (twitch). When we finish this table I'll post some pics.... It will be rough but you will see the concept at least...

Thumbs up

G'day Bledrin and welcome to the asylum.

Plenty to keep you occupied by the look of things and good luck with it.

Lots of advice and help here so don't be afraid to ask questions.