Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default treatments for cutting boards

:confused: Could someone give me some much needed advise PLEASE!. What is the best finish/treatment for cutting boards. I was under the impression that it should be vegetable oil because food would be prepared on them. Am I on the right track or completely off it. I am grateful for any input. Thanks guys.

There has been a lot of debate on this and a search of the board will yield a lot of answers.

I prefer none but when I sold them (helped educate my sons) we used to just wax them with Sh**hot wax sticks on the lathe. Makes 'em look nice, smell nice and absolutely harmless.

If you must treat a cutting board, pure Tung oil is OK. It is approved by FDA (Food and Drug Administration) in USA anyway, and they do not approve products lightly!

Quote Originally Posted by hexbaz
    If you must treat a cutting board, pure Tung oil is OK. It is approved by FDA (Food and Drug Administration) in USA anyway, and they do not approve products lightly!
    Unless of course a huge multinational corporation wants to introduce a new drug with which they can make millions (ie: thalidomide :mad: )

Mick the cynic
    "If you need a machine today and don't buy it,

tomorrow you will have paid for it and not have it."

- Henry Ford 1938

Quote Originally Posted by journeyman Mick
    Unless of course a huge multinational corporation wants to introduce a new drug with which they can make millions (ie: thalidomide :mad: )
    Actually, if memory serves me correctly, Thalidomide was NEVER approved in USA (though it was in Australia)

Qw
    All short sentences in economics are wrong.

I used Organoil Hard Burnishing Oil on an end grain cutting board as it is recommended for bowls and cutting boards. Organoil also make a product called Woodwipe that is specifically for cutting boards. Wood wipe used to be available from Bunnies but my local Bunnies (Lismore) has been out of stock for a long time now. May be the Organoil factory fire had somenting to do with th lack of availability.

Luke

Quote Originally Posted by journeyman Mick

Mick the cynic
    They allow nutra sweet a known nerve poison, saccerine? known to caurse cancer. heaps of others aslong as the corperation is large enough. Sorry Mic couldn't give you another point.

Olive oil - let it penetrate then wipe off the excess. Repeat periodically!

Thumbs up

:eek: also you can use paraffin oil the same way as jimmyjames method.

Dunno about olive oil jimmyjames, we were given a chopping block by friends that had been repeatedly "olive oiled", it had built into a real tacky, waxy finish that I ended up laboriously using a scraper to get it all off-mongrel job

Vege oil is the go I reckon, little and regularly. I think Triton oil is also food safe.

Cheers.....Sean

Neil (The grand Poobah) has stated several times (quite strongly the last time), that parrafin oil is the way to go.

Dan
    Is there anything easier done than said?
    - Stacky. The bottom pub, Cobram.

Here are just a couple of oldies from a search of these forums. There is a lot more.

http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com...ht=mineral+oil

http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com...ht=mineral+oil

Quote Originally Posted by QldWoodie
    Actually, if memory serves me correctly, Thalidomide was NEVER approved in USA (though it was in Australia)

Qw
    Thalidomide is now approved in the USA and many South American.Central American countries to treat Leprosy.

Here is the text from the FDA.

Thalidomide Information

FDA Announces Approval of Drug for Hansen's Disease (Leprosy) Side Effect; Imposes Unprecedented Authority to Restrict Distribution
    On July 16, 1998, FDA approved the use of thalidomide for the treatment of the debilitating and disfiguring lesions associated with erythema nodosum leprosum (ENL), a complication of Hansen’s Disease, commonly known as leprosy. Because of thalidomide’s potential for causing birth defects, FDA invoked unprecedented regulatory authority to tightly control the marketing of thalidomide in the United States. A System for Thalidomide Education and Prescribing Safety (S.T.E.P.S) oversight program has been initiated that includes limiting authorized prescribers and pharmacies, extensive patient education about the risks associated with thalidomide and a 100% patient registry. This oversight program is designed to help insure a zero tolerance policy for thalidomide exposure during pregnancy.

Celgene Corporation of Warren, NJ, will market thalidomide as Thalomid.
    Greg Lee

Old hackers never die, their TTL expires....

Quote Originally Posted by GregLee
    Thalidomide is now approved in the USA and many South American.Central American countries to treat Leprosy.
    Thanks for this Greg.

It is amazing how a thread started as "Treatments for Cutting Boards" could, within the space of only a dozen or so posts, end up informing us of the strong measures now invoked for drugs to treat leprosy.

This is what makes life interesting.

Qw
    All short sentences in economics are wrong.