Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Question What Finnsh do I use?

Hi Guys,

Just really getting started out in making projects and have managed to score about a cubic metre of heart Rimu from a old house made up of about 100 metres of 1 1/2 by 2 1/2 battons and the rest as 2x4's. Already I have orders from freinds and family for coffee tables, bar stools and decorative window ledges. Nothing to hard to start out with I think.

The big question is has anyone here used this timber for making things and how or with what do I finnish it of with when I a have made an item? Do you know of any resourses on the web that would be a help? I'm not sure whether or not to go hi glose or low sheen and what product whould do what.

Looking forward to any help you are able to give.

Cheers

Munchkin

THere maybe some kiwi members here that can offer their advice seeing as your asking about a local kiwi timber. But essentially it is just a type of pine so my understanding leads me to believe that any finish would take to Rimu.

Theres a guy down Timaru way (approx 200km south of ChCh) that builds exclusivly in Rimu. Mind you that might have changed, I havn't been to see him for a few years now. But from memory he just use's an N/C lacquer.

Contacting a local woodworking club might yield some good advise.

My best advise is to give the different finish's a go and see what you like the results of the best. Rimu's a beautiful timber and its no wonder that you've already got orders!

Well I'm a kiwi member who has worked a lot of this wood! (free stock leftover from a resturaunt re-flooring).

It can be difficult to preserve the delicate pinkish colour of rimu sometimes, especially as finish ages (think polyU - goes orange). I get best results using blond shellac either as a complete finish or at least as a sealer/washcoat under oil. Using oil or an oil based product directly (danish/tung/etc) quite often gives an extremely dark and unpleasant colour. As well as that, I wouldn't recommend a mirror gloss french polish since rimu is a little on the soft side and dents easily (DAMHIKT)

There's a good article on fine finishing in this months newsletter www.tritonwoodworkers.org.au

Check it out.

Thank you kindly fellow wood workers especially Zitan and Gumby. I shall pursure you words of wisdom with zeal.

Joking aside thanks for the help fellows I know I have a small goold mine in rich material here and I would hate to ruin it with a sad choice.

Cheers

Munchkin

Depend what grade of rimu it is. I've used Danish oil for a my hall table, and it came out fine. Maybe you with have to do some test pieces with different finishes to see how they come out.

Nice to see another kiwi on here,

Yes I have used danis oil successfully with most grades of rimu quite sucessfully, although you might want to consider a satin finish waterbased coat for some of the lighter grades.. especialy if its shaky heart or ob grade as there will often be large coloration differences.

Default Rimu dining table

Im a greenhorn when it comes to wood working been a glazier but have spent a week sanding back my dining table made from rimu it was made in nelson at robinson furniture i think it is a lighter shade of rimu seemed to have a lacquer on it went all sticky from the trip across the tasman could someone please recommend a good lacquer something like they might have used? And do they ever put a slight stain to it looks darker with the lacquer.
    thanks

If it went sticky on the trip to Oz it was possibly finished with shellac and the sea air has got to it.
    Regards, Bob Thomas

www.wombatsawmill.com