Thread: Polly wipe

Default Polly wipe

it has been 40 plus years since i used polyurathane. the name brand was VARATHANE and it was under a contolled situation. Back in jr high we had one half hour to 45 minutes in shop to get anything done. i used varathane on a shovel handle that was used for about 8 years irrigating a farm aqnd the shovel was stoterd on the pickup rack out side in the weather with rain and snow. it never rotted my dads shovel handle was replaced at least twice in that time. in shop we had just time to sand then reapply finish on a project so it was done right. i have never used polly wipe. how do you apply it and how thick ? what does it look like wet?should you wait 24 hrs to reapply or is one coat good enough? I do not have any pollywipe at this time but do not want to buy it if it is not what i want. I could use VARATHANE again but did not want to wait 3days to get a bowl finished. I might have to but need opinions on that subject.awaiting good replys as you boys seem to get to the point and with good answers. i make bowls with a ring master and i asked the same question on the american, ringmaster forum three days ago and not one relpy so far.i just want the bowls to last and be safe if people use them with food.

I think the current nomenclature is "wipe-on poly." Try using that term in a forum or Google search for better results. IIRC, Minwax has such a product.

FWIW, spray polyurethane generally has a working window of only a few hours between coats without sanding. Beyond that, about 3 days plus sanding, depending upon specific product instructions.

Cheers,
    Joe
    Of course truth is stranger than fiction.
    Fiction has to make sense. - Mark Twain