Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default Where does one start

Okay, so being completley un-imaginative, where does one start when they want to build a box, some boxes Ive seen are mind blowing, but Im sure there first one was very humble.

Ive made only simple boxes. that is mdf and a nail gun

I recently bought a book Custom wood boxes for the scroll saw, however I was wondering if theres anything out there for beginners

I have an incra jig and templates for making wooden hinges and all that stuff, but I guess I need to make a simple but nice box to start with.

Anyone got some ideas or directions for starting out

Thanks

Steve

Two good books are "Making Heirloom Boxes" by Peter LLoyd and "Fine Decorative Boxes" by Andrew Crawford. They will show you how to get started and give you some ideas to work with.
    Be warned: Boxmaking is addictive.
    Visit my website
    Website
    Facebook

Here is a link to the WWF library box bits:

https://www.woodworkforums.com/f246/box-bits-114898/

Default basic box making

I found Doug Stowe's videos helpful. You can get a direct download of this video from:

Basic Box Making - Taunton Press - Download Crafts & Hobbies Video

It is only $15 and the video runs for over two hours. From memory Doug makes three boxes of different styles and construction techniques.

Paul

Default Re: Where does one start

Im just getting into it as well. My first box is just some wild looking poplar with a simple design: ogee edged lid and finger joint corners. Im trying to start simple so no dovetails or veneers yet. Thats the next project! (jewelry armoire plan is currently being redesigned)

Mdf and a nail gun... sounds like youre a carpenter like me! So id suggest simplicity in your design, an easy finish like polyurethane, and limiting it to just 1 or 2 techniques you arent yet familiar with. Thats why for me its just router work and finger joints. You dont want to have a box that is a collection of experiments!

Have fun! As a fellow newbie id like to see your work in progress ;-)

Default timber

You want clean interesting timber. Not always vibrant, but something interesting for the cover/lid, good colour for the box proper, red cedar is good, qld maple fiddlback is special, birdseye can be also great for the cover....see what Andy did with jarrah.
    Huon is wonderful for colour differentiation, burls can be beautiful but difficult to work, rosewood has beautiful grain, fruit wood can provide some wonderful timbers as well.
    Good luck and happy timber collecting....
    Greg