Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Question Finishing a varnished door advice

Hi,

I'm a newbie to the forums, and up until recently I'd not done a lot of woodwork before. In the last week, I undertook the task of adding a new door/entryway to our house. I sprayed the door with cabots exterior varnish stain, using my auto spraying kit, and overall I'm not 100% satisfied with the finish, as it has a little dryer appearance in some places than others (due to overspray). Basically I'm looking for a product I can wipe over the door to add an even (satin) shine/finish. Some sort of oil perhaps?

I've been reading many forums all over the place, and have seen recommendations of Tung Oil, Linseed Oil & Orange Oil to name a few, but I don't know whether any of these are ideal for applying over the top of a varnish?

Just something I can pick up from Bunnings would be ideal, and since the door is varnished, there's not a real need for anything that requires multiple coats etc.

Any knowledgeable advice would be appreciated.

http://sphotos-g.ak.fbcdn.net/hphoto...96386344_n.jpg

Cheers,
    Steve

Hi Steve

There are members here that are varnish-experienced (I am not one)! But I can't think of anyting you could easily put over it (other than more clear or tinted varnish). Cabots sell matte, satin and gloss clear varnish in water-based and oil-based formulae at Bunnings, and I'm reasonably sure you can tint them as well if you wish.

Otherwise you may need to strip/sand it back

I assume the door gets direct sun either early or late in the day? BTW, its a nice solid good-looking door!

Cheers
    Phil
    "Come sit down beside me" I said to myself, and although it didn't make sense,
    I held my own hand as a small sign of trust, and together I sat on the fence.

Quote Originally Posted by antiphile View Post
    Hi Steve

There are members here that are varnish-experienced (I am not one)! But I can't think of anyting you could easily put over it (other than more clear or tinted varnish). Cabots sell matte, satin and gloss clear varnish in water-based and oil-based formulae at Bunnings, and I'm reasonably sure you can tint them as well if you wish.

Otherwise you may need to strip/sand it back

I assume the door gets direct sun either early or late in the day? BTW, its a nice solid good-looking door!

Cheers
    Phil
    Thanks Phil. I'm not so upset with it to the point of sanding it back and redoing it. Just looking to improve upon the finish. Even a polish, or burnishing cream (which I can't seem to find easily) would be good enough. Just looking for some advice on which is the best route.