Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default Finishing Western Red Windows

We've got some western red cedar windows (well ...the window is actually glass - the frame is cedar). I'm wondering what to finish them off with. I think I'm going to use Treatex Hardwax Oil on the floors. I'm wondering if that'd work on the windows or, since the cedar is such a soft timber, will it not be hard enough.

And the windows currently open from the bottom (whatever that's called) with annoying hand winders that were all the rage in the 70's (and they're mission brown). We want to convert this to casement windows so we can get a much better air flow. What I'm after here is a really good supplier of different types of opening locks in Sydney. Most of the ones I've seen would interfere with flyscreens when half open or they're too close to the hinge and are likely to impart to much pressure on the soft cedar. I may be chasing something that doesn't exist here but any ideas would be great.

cheers,
    Mike.

Sillkens make a product for exterior wood that looks good and gives better protection than just oil , it is "Cetol Filter 7" , there is also a wattyl product that I have had success with , " Wattyl Exterior Clear"
    Have used both on western red and am happy with them both.
    Both are for external wood in sun and weather and let the natural colours shine through, the wattyl gives a glossier finish.

Rgds
    <!-- / message --><!-- sig -->
    Ashore

The trouble with life is there's no background music.