Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Thread: Trust

Default Trust

I know this is not about pen making or wood turning, but I think trust is one of the things that is lacking in the world today.
    I sent my son (who is 8) down to the local shop to get the news paper with a $5 note, he had some of his own money with him to spend. When he got home he told me that the shop keeper charged him $5 for a $2.20 news paper. With a lot of questioning from me as to what he got and so on. I took my boy back to the shop and spoke to the shop keeper of course she denied charging him $5 and said that he purchase a chocolate bar and some other candy( which he paid for the candy out of his money). After having a firm discussion with her my parting words were we will never shop here again. As my kids know I don't like it when anyone lies to me and that my kids will get punished if they do. What do you do you try and teacher your kids the right way and you have other people lying. I know some of you will think that is my son telling me the truth, but being me son I have to believe him or there will be no trust at all.
    David

Well handled.

Quote Originally Posted by dj_pnevans View Post
    I know this is not about pen making or wood turning,David
    this line kept me reading

you are right trust is a big one ,the only mistake you made was how you treated the shop keeper seeing it was one word against the other your action showed your son that people are judged guilty with no trial

no one like people that makes a seen there is no need just don't shop there again

children watch what their parents do and copy their actions, good and bad
    smile and the world will smile with you

Quote Originally Posted by SPIRIT View Post
    this line kept me reading

you are right trust is a big one ,the only mistake you made was how you treated the shop keeper seeing it was one word against the other your action showed your son that people are judged guilty with no trial

no one like people that makes a seen there is no need just don't shop there again

children watch what their parents do and copy their actions, good and bad
    With respect, Spirit, I disagree. Richard sounds like a reasonable person who values honesty and who confronted the situation calmly. I especially liked this line: "but being me son I have to believe him or there will be no trust at all". David's right. You shouldn't "half" trust the people who are close to you. He knows his son and he trusts him fully and he stood up for him. I'd do the same. My dad once did the same with me when I was accused of stealing a sugar dispenser from a local cafe (just last year ).

I have doubts that the shopkeeper purposefully overcharged. It may have been a mistake. But I follow Richard in trusting his son's honesty.

The only other thing you could have said is that you expect an apology after they cash up at the end of the day.
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Rossluck View Post
    With respect, Spirit, I disagree. Richard sounds like a reasonable person who values honesty and who confronted the situation calmly. I especially liked this line: "but being me son I have to believe him or there will be no trust at all". David's right. You shouldn't "half" trust the people who are close to you. He knows his son and he trusts him fully and he stood up for him. I'd do the same. My dad once did the same with me when I was accused of stealing a sugar dispenser from a local cafe (just last year ).

I have doubts that the shopkeeper purposefully overcharged. It may have been a mistake. But I follow Richard in trusting his son's honesty.
    l base my comments manly on this quote"a firm discussion and we will never shop here again"this quote would imply the shop keeper was dishonest this could be seen as unfair if the shop keeper was a innocent party .

question the shop keeper yes ,accuse no

Quote Originally Posted by SPIRIT View Post

question the shop keeper yes ,accuse no
    Fair enough.

The firm discussion I had with the shop keeper was with out any yelling I kept a firm voice just to let them know I was not trying to pull the wool over there eyes and try and get some thing for nothing. As for just not shopping there they would not know if you did or didn't but by telling them they know that they have lost a customer. As I have spent quite a few years in retail I know how to resolve most complaints some people can never be happy but a simple I sorry but I dint think I over charged your son, instead of say he got a choc bar as well. I would doubt if the shop at the end of the day balance the till. (Tax mans delight) But at the end of the day me not shopping there wont do any thing to them but my son knows that I trust him and will stand up for him and that is what counts.
    David

I think it was the right thing to do. Even if it was true that your son got a chocolate as well, he watched you believe him. He is obviously usually a trustworthy and sensitive boy, or you would not have sent him on this errand.
    anne-maria.
    T
    ea Lady

(White with none)
    Follow my little workshop/gallery on facebook. things of clay and wood.

Calm is offline Stubby Owner and proud of it. Now coming back to Earth.:D

Quote Originally Posted by dj_pnevans View Post
    I know this is not about pen making or wood turning, but I think trust is one of the things that is lacking in the world today.
    I sent my son (who is 8) down to the local shop to get the news paper with a $5 note, he had some of his own money with him to spend. When he got home he told me that the shop keeper charged him $5 for a $2.20 news paper. With a lot of questioning from me as to what he got and so on. I took my boy back to the shop and spoke to the shop keeper of course she denied charging him $5 and said that he purchase a chocolate bar and some other candy( which he paid for the candy out of his money). After having a firm discussion with her my parting words were we will never shop here again. As my kids know I don't like it when anyone lies to me and that my kids will get punished if they do. What do you do you try and teacher your kids the right way and you have other people lying. I know some of you will think that is my son telling me the truth, but being me son I have to believe him or there will be no trust at all.
    David
    Am i missing something here. he bought candy from his money, and a paper and chocolate bar from the $5. thats $2.80 for the chocolate bar - seems about right.

Good to let them know that you trust them, but i never assumed mine were angels.

Cheers
    regards

David

"Tell him he's dreamin."
    "How's the serenity" (from "The Castle")

David he only got the candy, the shop keeper tried to tell me he had a choc bar.
    Thanks for all the feed back.
    David

fair enough