Howdy,

I'm building a deck 700mm above ground level that is attached to the house. It is 4.2m wide (out from the house) so there are two bearers running parallel with the house (one out 2.1m, one 4.2m) and the joists run in beside the existing house joists and sit on the existing bearer. (the existing joists are cantilevered 300mm over the bearer).

The dilemma I have is how to install the posts. There are 3 choices...

1. My dad (who was a structural landscaper) and my friend who is a builder says to install the stirrups first - we can get the position of them by running a level plumb off the string line that's set up between the house and hurdles.

2. The Alan Staines book says always put the posts in the stirrups first, then pour the concrete.

3. The Staines book and a friend at work say you could use temporary posts to erect the bearer and joists then install posts.

I was planning on using method 2 because I think it will be easier to get the post online if it's up where the string line is. Just have to take it easy putting the concrete in, and support the post. I also don't want to argue with my dad (who's helping me) unless I have reason. Any insight on preferred methods and pitfalls would be appreciated.
Would it be wrong to use method 1?

Cheers,
Stew.

More...