Default Keeping My Fingers Crossed - Roof Drainaged

Alright here in Perth we haven't had much rain this year to date. But the few heavy down pours that we have had has over flowed the guttering and flooded back inside the house, because the front of the gutter is higher than the back. Its a new house that I'm building. The main area of concern is an alcove which has a 3m long section of guttering into which all the water from a 12m wide x 8m high/deep (bit of a diamond shape between two valley's) roof area flows into.

With the third flooding (this last Saturday) it showed the leaf litter, with what there was of it, that it was right up and over the top of the guttering.

I hate guttering. What do I do... rip it all off... persist with it... put holes in the front of the guttering... seems a possiblity, just drill holes or slots, so I thought about it over night. Rain was forecasted for Sunday.

I decided on slots. So bright and early Sunday morning I set up and cut horizontal slots 40mm x 8mm every 200mm in this 3m section of guttering. We had a heavy down pour Sunday evening. The rain water gushed from the slots, so it appears to have worked.

With hindsight I should have went for guttering where the front is smaller than the back or the stuff that has slots pressed/cut in it.

I've never even seen guttering thats higher at the front than the back without being slotted. Sounds like you may need more down pipes too, and round ones work way better than rectangular.

Mick
    "If you need a machine today and don't buy it,

tomorrow you will have paid for it and not have it."

- Henry Ford 1938

Quote Originally Posted by journeyman Mick View Post
    I've never even seen guttering thats higher at the front than the back without being slotted. Sounds like you may need more down pipes too, and round ones work way better than rectangular.

Mick

Have you led a sheltered life have a look at these http://www.combinedmetalind.com.au/Brochure/gutter.pdf

Yep my first thought was more downpipes. You need a downpipe within a couple of metres of every valley for a start.

My gutter has overflow slots. I have seen water coming out of them in heavy downpours (even with the regulation number of downpipes ) so they're worth having.
    "I don't practice what I preach because I'm not the kind of person I'm preaching to."

Quote Originally Posted by rod1949 View Post
    Have you led a sheltered life have a look at these http://www.combinedmetalind.com.au/Brochure/gutter.pdf
    That's just stupid
    I don't think anyone in North Queensland would be silly enough to manufacture or sell it.

Mick
    "If you need a machine today and don't buy it,

tomorrow you will have paid for it and not have it."

- Henry Ford 1938

I have to agree with Mick -stupid..

Not just forcing water back on to the barge board or worse.. it inhibits leaves from sliding out.

Can you just bend your support brackets so the front is lower than the back?

This will protect the bargeboard but you should still neeed to address the underlying problem of downpipes

Quote Originally Posted by journeyman Mick View Post
    That's just stupid
    I don't think anyone in North Queensland would be silly enough to manufacture or sell it.

Mick
    Not wrong there.

I was in Darwin for 20yrs to 1989. No gutters... wouldn't cope same as where you are.