Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default G'day from a reformed metalworker

Hi folks,

While having joined up a while ago, I have only just got around to penning a few words of introduction.

Woodworking started for me many years ago in year seven at state high school. I got the bug early and really enjoyed making the mandatory turned pine mug stand & trivet projects Alas, woodwork was not available as an elective so I ended up going to the dark side of metalwork for the next few years, then completed an apprenticeship in Fitting & Maching, learning all sorts of useful sidelines like gear cutting, pattern making, welding & metalising (shaft rebuilding).

After number of years working in the printing industry, then computers, and now telecommunications, I have finally got around to setting up a workshop to allow a return to my first love of woodwork - only as a hobby so far...

First project (inspired by Wongo's magnificent effort https://www.woodworkforums.com/showth...ht=cubby+house) is building a cubby house for my two girls. This is the first major construction project I have ever tackled, and is proving very challenging but very enjoyable so far. You learn so many techniques just by solving the many little problems that come up. I will start a separate WIP thread in Big Stuff forum shortly.

Besides that I have gained a huge amount of information on a number of topics including purchase of tablesaw, router & table, and many others. Many thanks to all for contributing so generously, judging by the number of overseas members these forums are unique.

Kind regards,
    Gooz
    I'm new here...

Welcome Gooz
    Wongo is an inspiration to many (esp those who want to make a rocking chair).
    Cheers

Jeremy
    If it were done when 'tis done, then 'twere well it were done quickly

But...if you cut short with metal........you can always weld on another bit.
    Just Joking.......welcome aboard.

You could combine your talents like many do and become an Ornamental woodworker make the tools to do the woodwork

Welcome.

When you finish the cubby house they will want it furnished , i think you will be busy for some time . Welcome to the forum

paul , k

Welcome to the forum.

You have been taken by the Wongoness.

Howdy Gooz and welcome to the forum.
    Reality is no background music.
    Cheers John

G'Day Gooz,
    I 'm an unreformed sheetmetal worker, I went to school in the days when boys did woodwork and metalwork, girls did cooking and sewing and the intelectually challenged did french , german and/ or commerce.
    welcome aboard ,
    Gerard

Quote Originally Posted by SHEETMETAL View Post
    G'Day Gooz,
    I 'm an unreformed sheetmetal worker, I went to school in the days when boys did woodwork and metalwork, girls did cooking and sewing and the intelectually challenged did french , german and/ or commerce.
    welcome aboard ,
    Gerard
    Thanks Gerard et al, I went to a local high school open day recently, the elective woodwork class (Yr 11) had at least 50% girls, and they were doing some amazing projects! Times have certainly changed as there were **NO** girls in either subject when i went through the system.

From memory I only just passed mandatory Home Science after accidently using Self Raising flour in my ANZAC cookies instead of the recommended Plain flour
    I'm new here...

Quote Originally Posted by Gooz View Post
    the elective woodwork class (Yr 11) had at least 50% girls, and they were doing some amazing projects! Times have certainly changed as there were **NO** girls in either subject when i went through the system.
    No girls in my wood working class. I went to a all boys school.