Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default Moving a Laundry

OK, seeing as my bathroom, toilet, and laundry are all connected (have to walk through the laundry to access the other 2), I was thinking that when I renovate the bathroom/toilet, I could possibly move the laundry at the same time. Now, friends of ours have a house and the washing machine and laundry tub just live up against a wall in the garage. So my questions are.....

1: Is it acceptable to have a laundry, which is also just a garage, ie not a seperate room?

2: Is it a requirment to have a laundry tub, or can you do away with it if you want to (washing machine drainage issues aside)?

3: Regarding washing machine drainage; can this, and therefore the laundry tub waste, be run into the guttering downpipe? I assume this just goes straight into the sewer, but would appreciate clarification on this. Grey water on the garden is not an option as my local council say it's a big no-no! If the roof gutter water doesn't go into the sewerage, where does it go?

4: If you move it into the garage, does the whole floor have to be waterproofed?

Thanks very much in advance for any help or advice you can give......

Just a few points,

The downpipes definitely don't go into the sewer unless you have an illegal connection, it goes into the street gutter instead.

It is a building code of australia (BCA) requirement to have a laundry tub. The laundry floor needs a waste or a slope to an external doorway at the very least.

So to do what you plan you will need a sewer connection, a floor waste, taps and a tub in your new laundry (in the garage)

Cheers
    Pulse

Thanks for the advice, Pulse.

Mmmmm. Sewer connection sounds expensive to me. I guess the stormwater drains in the street go to a river then? Probably best not to throw my washing water in there then......

This is what happens when you come from another country. To me, nobody has a laundry, let alone laundry tub. And washing machines live under the counter in the kitchen!